Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the y pipe the same for all DII's?....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey coors did you have any problems getting the fasteners loose where the pipe bolts to the manifolds?...any tricks or special tools used to break them loose? I'm thinking pb blaster and lots of heat...

Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by agthird
Hey coors did you have any problems getting the fasteners loose where the pipe bolts to the manifolds?...any tricks or special tools used to break them loose? I'm thinking pb blaster and lots of heat...
I took the y-pipe off of my 99 to replace an oxygen sensor that I couldn't get to budge while installed in the vehicle. I sprayed them down with PB and hit them with a half inch impact gun. No issues at all. Now the flange at the muffler was a totally different story. I had to cut the studs in the flange, and attempted to drive out the old studs... one wouldn't budge. I put it back with just one new bolt for now. I plan on cutting off the old flange and replacing it with a split flange.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

they make a flange repair kit (it kind of looks like a long c-clamp only with an allen screw) I think i got it at autozone. Ive had one on my jeep for about 8 years now it has never leaked and the broken stud has since wrought away at this point.

Last edited by drowssap; 09-05-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by agthird
Nope not at all. PB Blaster a 13mm(I think) deep socket and a lng extension should do you good.

I had one flange stud that had a bolt a nut, must have snapped off before I got to it. Previous owner or his mechanic.

Just make sure to soak them good with penetrating fluid. Take your time and go slow. Loosen the tighten, spray penetrating fluid, loosen tighten. See the methodology ...

The rear cross memeber will have to be swung out of the way for full temoval of the pipe. The front one is okay to leave in place, for my '01 anyway. Disconnect all four O2 sensors. Make sure to tie up the wires good when reinstalling. Don't want them loose, especially around the front shaft.

Note. BECAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE Y-PIPE. NOT TO TOUCH THE SOLENOID ON THE STARTER.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling

thanks coors!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

because Terrafirma had Lucky 8 send me a belly plate for a tdi d2. it ran into the exhaust on both sides. got the petrol one, mounts complete opposite way, fits great.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Discokline can you explain the use of an impact?
sure agthird,

I would recomend that you not try and just muscle the nuts off of the studs that hold the pipe to each of the manifolds. After letting the penetrant soak into the nuts use an impact wrench to get the nuts off. I had the benefit of having my Disco on my lift to work on it. I made the mistake of trying to muscle them off and snapped 4 of the 6 studs off and had to drill them out. The impact will put less stress on the stud and should not break them.

If you do happen to break a stud, you have a couple options. I was able to weld a nut back onto two of them, and use the impact to remove the stud from the manifold. The other two had to be drilled out. I was able to drill them out without removing the manifold, but it is tough drilling above your head.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Just a follow up since most people around never say how the fix went. I went with a davico y pipe assembly 365.00 shipped to my front door and must say the construction of the pipe was top notch for an aftermarket. I replaced the manifold gaskets but used the studs/bolts/lockwashers from advanced auto parts in the help section. I believe they are for a water pump assembly. Anyhow the pipe was an exact fit and went on without much fuss. Make sure you soak the nuts on the manifold real good with some pb blaster and dont be afraid of applying some heat. They all came off some with the stud some just the nut. I replaced the studs with new and reused the old nuts only because I didn't want to open a can of worms if something broke. All new o2 sensors. Make sure you take your old cats to a recycling center I got a 100 a piece for the oems.