Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes I am a girl but HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Hang on. Bit of logic needs to be applied. Is it just the driver's door that doesn't unlock with the fob? Or is it all of them.
If it's all of them (which it sounds like to me), then door actuator is completely barking up the wrong tree.
Sounds to me like it's just the fob.
Open it up, clean it (gently). Try shorting the unlock switch (to see if it's just the actual switch). If that makes the doors unlock (and the alarm to turn off), take the battery out of the fob and just use the manual locks until the new fob you clearly have to buy arrives.

And also: welcome!

The following users liked this post:
Lawgirl (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grrr my last reply deleted.
Ok so the key fob does not unlock anything. The interior unlock unlocks the doors....but the drivers door does not unlock because the key will not move left or right therefore not de-activating the alarm so when I try to start the car the alarm goes off. The key fob does work when I push the "lock" the alarm but as we all know it does not de-activate the theft alarm being triggered. So my car will only operate if I am able to insert the key in the drivers door lock and turning it the appropriate seconds to unarm it.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawgirl
. Door key wldnt budge.......
Yea. Fallstaff, anything else attached to the door actuator that we should know about?

Lawgirl (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 05:33 PM
Winching

Lawgirl. Yeah then it's nothing to do with actuators or anything in the door.
It's 90% likely it's the fob (it's just not sending the unlock/disarm signal). Could be the car not accepting or acting on the signal, but that is less likely.
Just stop using the remote functions (take the battery out) until you can get a new one.
You can try and fix the fob, but it's basically a single circuit board with switches you'd be very lucky if you can do anything to it.
Can't hurt to try and clean it, you might luck out.

Lawgirl (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Winching

Oh. Wait, I see what dgi 07 seven is getting at.
Sounds like two problems at once!
If the lock won't turn with the key that sounds like the locks just buggered too.
Not surprising, when the fob is working they don't really ever get used. Things go poorly after a decade of disuse.

Lawgirl (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Winching

Now how you turn off the alarm without the fob or the door lock is beyond me.
If you have the door open I'd just try and trick the lock electrics into thinking you've done the key version. But that I do not have knowledge on.
I'd try talking the fob into sending the unlock signal first though.

Lawgirl (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Drifting

I have faith in Abran when he says I can re-work the key fob by soldering it. I have two key fobs I am working with. If anyone has anymore helpful links to do that with pics that would be great. I did order the actuator because it makes no sense the key won't move left or right. I am starting to get anxiety not being able to leave my house so wish me luck! I just don't think buying anything for my key fob is necessary. If some factory can do it so can I right?

Old 05-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Winching

I love the attitude!
(although — robots)
Two fobs, that's less hopeful. Same failure twice is less likely.
You can test before soldering by just closing the switch circuit (that's all the switch does). Figure out which pins are on each side of the switch circuit and touch a piece of metal across them. [Edit: Carefully!] If that does the trick then you know it's the switch and can replace/rework it.

If the key won't turn at all, that means the lock itself isn't working - perhaps a locksmith?
That's just a wild guess, so don't rely on me there.

Last edited by Fallstaff; 05-20-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Lawgirl (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the circuit board out of the remote that lock the door and look for the contactor for the unlocking section of the small circuit board and try to make contact (close the circuit). Don't know if you have used a tester (cheap at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Radio Shack) and without the battery do a continuity test to make sure there is contact. By the way try to lube the cylinder in the door and little by little work the key )carefully please!!!), use plenty lube and let seat a few hours it could be from the lack of use the pins in the cylinder are frozen. You will get it, have faith and once you start driving your truck come back and let's sort out the leak. Lot of people here with vast knowledge about this trap boxes....

Lawgirl (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Drifting

ABRAN IS A GENIUS! Woot!!!
So he walked me through the key fob re-soldering and I was able to unlock the anti theft problem and as soon as my dad brings my wrench back to tighten my battery on I think I am set!!!! No the door still does not unlock with my key but who gives a crap at this point at least I am not locked out with the superlock! Do you know how many land rover dudes told me I was screwed and to have it towed to the dealership????? I am feeling a bit like a bad *** right now and I feel like I have overcome the hostage holding of being taken advantage of. Thank you EVERYONE for your willingness to help!!! I have always changed my tires and other stuff that is semi complicated but I am going to say Land Rover makes the challenge wayyyy more complicated! Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Yes I am a girl but HELP