Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Ash ray and Coin Tray Stuck? Look Here. Fix Write up in side with Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will do this manana on both trays.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOOT my coin tray works again!!! Thanks

Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is really funny as mine are both broken and I intend to do this fix this week! There just seems to be something totally inferior about the grade of plastic they used in most of the Discovery series vehicles; I wonder if Range Rovers and other models from this time frame have the same crappy brittle plastic, I suspect they do. Over the years I have replaced the plastic cover around the instrument cluster, the center console and some of the plastic parts that clip on to the seats, all because bits of the plastic have broken off making them loose or falling off. My ash tray and coin tray both have the broken plastic parts and I just never shut them all the way to make getting into them easier.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

good grief. this afternoon i fixed the passenger rear door with the slipped down window seal and now this!? thank you so much for this old helpful post!

i have literally found 5 fixes on this site today while my kiddos played soccer for my beloved 10year old truck. it recently passed emissions after being on an exemption and i am so delighted to breathe new life into it. next after the coin trays, is the door that won't unlock. I think i will let my husband tackle the ABS issue.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

Finally got around to looking for a fix for my coin tray. Thank you so much for posting this was a big help.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: coin holder/ash tray fix

Originally Posted by sickws6
Not sure if this is the right section. I just bought this 04 disco last night and found out that my trays would not retract back out it got pissed me off so I decided to fix them.

I started by taking the trays out by pushing on the tab to be able to pull the tray out shown below:

After I got the trays out there are 3 phillip head screws on both sides behind where the trays fit. Take those screws out and the complete housing will come off.:

After the housing is out you will discover (lol) that the spring retainers on the plastic housing will be broke off. Just grab a couple small but stron zip ties and use 2 on both springs to hold the spring tab in place tight against the housing. Tread the tie between the small opening that the spring arm itself goes through and through the broken opening of the housing. pull the ties tight to hold the spring tab tight:

And a video of how the trays should function:
VID00012-20110908-0130.mp4 video by sickws6 - Photobucket
THANK YOU! this was an easy fix. FYI, be SURE to use thin zip ties, I tried using 1 big one on each side, and it got in the way of the drawer itself.

Works awesome!

Old 11-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Mudding

Fantastic - both of mine are broken, so guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

Old 11-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Mudding

Actually, I didn't wait - I just went out and did this in ten minutes by torchlight (well, it is midnight here!).

Old 11-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Excellent useful info joyntanovich. Both of mine crapped out some years ago and the springs took a powder. I've never gotten around to fixing them (hate fiddly trim jobs) but with that info I might just fix them as the wife pushes them in too far now and they get stuck

Old 11-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Excellent useful info joyntanovich. Both of mine crapped out some years ago and the springs took a powder. I've never gotten around to fixing them (hate fiddly trim jobs) but with that info I might just fix them as the wife pushes them in too far now and they get stuck
Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.. 'fiddly trim' stuff. This is something I may be able to handle and complete - along with the wiper blade conversion kit I've been sitting on for months Maybe if I make a commitment to work on at least 2 items a week? Would that be a deal with the devil? Start small and work big? Or is it start big and work small (aka go big or go home..)

I can do this.. thanks for the write-up sickws6. I know that I have a few zip-ties laying around in the garage and cigarette butt receptacle (the British term for it) that doesn't open

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 11-11-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Your Ash ray and Coin Tray Stuck? Look Here. Fix Write up in side with Pics!