Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF Auto failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been self employed for a couple years; I don't get a refund.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

So a business web address on the back glass makes this a business expense...

Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Late update: they completed the repair, reassembled everything, and were ready to install it... and spotted cracking in the flywheel, at the bolt holes.

Are you sitting down?

The Aamco shop in question *is replacing the flywheel, at their expense*. Bought it from the dealer. Overnight freight. "We should have caught that when we disassembled it".

Hats off to the shop, which I will identify in a week, when the repair has held. :-)

Old 04-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

That is a surprise for sure.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Alas, while they were standup guys about not charging me for the flywheel with cracked bolt holes they should have spotted, they can't seem to finish getting the rebuild to work properly.

They put it all together, and put it in, and in test drives, they couldn't get it to go into fourth until 55, and it would fall out again, much below.

So they tweaked the 3-4 shift solenoid, and eventually replaced it, and it still wouldn't, so they tore it back down, and found that one of the o-rings, in that part of the hydro system, had folded over. So they replaced and refitted, and readjusted...

and now it wont pull into 4th at all. He says he sees the shift command on the bus, but while the converter will lock, the 3-4 shift doesn't happen, and they can't figure out why.

Anyone else who's still listening ever have a ZF that wouldn't go into fourth?

(I guess all those people who've been telling me all day "may the fourth be with you" don't have the Force, either...)

Old 05-05-2013, 02:39 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

• Admer
    ZF 5HP24 no 4TH GEAR
    Hello, I'm hoping i can get some direction with this ZF 5HP24 on a 2004 L322.

Vehicle drives fine with gears 1 through 3 but cuts out when it hits 4th gear. It will go into limp mode as soon as shifts from 3rd to 4th, pressing the gas
    pedal just revs the engine I have to do a shut off and restart to get the Rover shifting again.

I've already searched the forum but can't seem to find someone with a similar issue :?:

It acts up hot or cold and even in manual shift mode mode, it will shift fine from 1 through 3 but as soon as it hits 4 it looses gear.
    The shift solenoids + pressure solenoids + the speed sensors all check out fine and are in spec when ohmed from the connecter at the trans ecu.
    The High/Low switch seems to be working fine and fluid level has been checked and there are no shavings in pan.

Codes that I was able to pull FROM THE TRANS are GEAR MONITOR 4 FAULT -GEAR MONITOR FAULT -STALL SPEED FAULT

Any help is appreciated
  • November 21st, 2012, 04:36 AM
    RRPhil
    Re: ZF 5HP24 no 4TH GEAR
    That has to be a B-clutch problem, surely - especially if it won't failsafe into 5th gear either? Unfortunately I haven't come across this particular issue before.

Phil
  • November 21st, 2012, 06:24 AM
    Admer
    Re: ZF 5HP24 no 4TH GEAR
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RRPhil
    That has to be a B-clutch problem, surely - especially if it won't failsafe into 5th gear either? Unfortunately I haven't come across this particular issue before.

Phil

Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Rock Crawling

I gather, jfall, that that was a quote in reply to my inquiry?

I said "B-clutch" to the guy and he said "yeah; I suspect the new clutch may have a hairline crack in it that opens up when it comes up to temperature".

I missed a step in the story: it will go into 4th when *cold*, but not after it warms up. Since the clutch was part of the rebuild kit, it's his problem. As are all the fit/unfit cycles; I didn't realize that it takes 3-4 hrs to put that thing in and pull it out.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Rock Crawling

And I read that whole thread... and I didn't know the 5HP24 was a *five-speed*; am I missing something?

Or was that poster misinterpreting 1-2-3-Lock-4?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Rock Crawling

So, y'know, I feel like an idiot.

This transmission is (as I suspect some of you were polite enough not to make fun of me for not realizing) a 4HP22, not a 5HP24. :-}

Last edited by Baylink; 05-06-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Fix parens
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling

We have a semi-final answer here. My incorrect designation notwithstanding, it does in fact appear to be a hairline crack in the new B-clutch that was part of the rebuild kit; when it got up to temperature, it spread and started leaking pressure.

I'm supposed to have it back tomorrow afternoon.

Quick Reply: ZF Auto failure