Discovery Sport Talk about the new 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport

signs to replace timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 04:17 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default signs to replace timing chain

Discovery Sport (L550) SE Tech 2L Diesel (2016)

I am getting conflicting messages about if a timing chain should be changed on my car at a regular interval or should last the lifetime of the car. The c
ar has just 70k miles and is due a service. Last minor service was at 56000 by local garage (All LR before that 9k, 20k, 42k, 48k)

The garage are telling me the chain doesn't need done if the car has been regularly serviced, yet on some internet forums people suggest changing at 80k-100k

Are there specific signs that would suggest the timing chain needs to be replaced?

Old 08-28-2022, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear
Default Change the timing chain!

I have a 2017 disco sport, bought it last year used with 40k miles. Have serviced regularly, and the other day the timing chain went suddenly in the middle of nowhere. All of the supposed signs I’ve read about weren’t there. No rattling sounds. BUT the one thing I did have was occasional hesitation, which I chalked up to a lagging turbo, so I wasn’t too concerned. Color me wrong, if I had it to do again I would change the chain at maybe $1k, instead of a whole new engine! (I haven’t found out the price yet on that, but from what I read it looks like at least $9k). Will be trading this vehicle as soon as it’s fixed. 1 month and 10k miles outside of warranty . Ugh

Old 04-13-2023, 08:22 PM
2nd Gear

Timing chains might give you a few short indications they`re failing.....slight rattle noise, camshaft position sensor codes, VVT solenoid codes. But when you get those codes it means it needs replacement....quick ! Stop driving immediately. Live here in Houston, Tx ....dealer is charging $ 5,600.00
Found a LR mechanic that can do it for $ 3K ...They should last to at least 80K miles..........mine failed at 59,000

Old 04-27-2023, 12:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default timing chain case study

FYI - I have the same car at 80k miles - a big concern of mine is the timing chain failure and subsequent carnage - basically I've resigned myself to ensuring frequent oil changes as infrequent oil changes have been correlated with premature timing chain failure. Concur with everything stated by all the other contributors. Here's a ink for some context (2015 Evoque but same engine as LR2 - Ford 2.0L Ecoboost Turbo):

https://atlanticmotorcar.com/casestu...hain-sprocket/

Sorry this is all a bit after the fact info - hope your Ford shop gets your son back on the road again. Interested to know how it works/worked out.

Thx
Jim

Old 03-14-2024, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Hi all. I have a 2016 Disco and just got by a barrage of issues (call it plain bad luck or whatever). First, the roof lining sagged and at the same time, the battery indicator came on as well as the coolant indicator. So I thought I will fix all 3 issues while I am at it. For the coolant issue, I was informed by a mechanic that it is a radiator leak/issue so I had it replaced with a new radiator.
Next day while caught in a jam with very slow moving traffic (about 40mins in), I had a hose cracked/leaking water and the coolant indicator coming on again. Had to tow the vehicle away.
The mechanic did another round of checks and found that one of the cam gears have cracked, so need to replace both + the timing tensioner etc. Total damage was $4k+.

I wanted to ask, is this a common LR Disco issue (just turned 7 years old) and should I be expecting anymore 'nasty' surprises? Last year I had a gear **** issue (**** refused to turn) which I had it repaired.

I would appreciate some honest feedback!