Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 03:22 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been looking into doing this swap with the Gen III. Is there any concern with the added weight of the LM7 sagging the front end of the truck? L33 & LM4's are considerably higher on the price scale here.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 328Driver
I've been looking into doing this swap with the Gen III. Is there any concern with the added weight of the LM7 sagging the front end of the truck? L33 & LM4's are considerably higher on the price scale here.
The LM7 is a good option. It's about 70-100 lbs heavier than the LM4 / L33. That's about the same weight as adding a steel front bumper. We just put a medium-duty OME 2" on the prototype and it is riding good with the LM4. The truck was fine on the stock suspension too, but at 154,000 miles it was worn out. I'd say that the LM7 and heavier-duty springs will be fine.

We are recommending to add lift kits when doing the swap if you don't already have one. It's not necessary for the swap, but if you plan on going off-road, I'd highly recommend it. The oil pan is a little tighter to the front driveshaft than factory and while at full-flex at the stock suspension height, I could see it making slight contact. The OME lift took care of that problem and now there is more than enough clearance in every direction.

My personal rig is getting an LS within the next month. It has on OME lift, steel front bumper, and winch, so that should be a good test. I don't foresee any problems.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:35 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks AC! I'm trying to keep the ride height stock for now so she still fits in the garage. Never spent a day outside or in the dirt (cue the laughter). Looking forward to the full emissions kit coming out and thanks for making this swap available.

The following users liked this post:
ACEngineer (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

No laughter here. They are great trucks to just drive no matter the terrain.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:48 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I'm in. When? Where? Price?

I have a 2004 Disco. My truck has the knocking noise from slip cylinder sleeves. These vehicles are really junk but I love them. I took it to an engine builder "Friend" almost two years ago. It's still there! The only thing he did was pull the motor and take it all apart. Now he just told me I need to get it off the property. Obviously he wont return my deposit and also obviously we are no longer "Friends" This kit would be just what the doctor ordered.

If I didn't love this truck so much I would just junk it and get a FJ.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:33 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrm83616
I have a 2004 Disco. My truck has the knocking noise from slip cylinder sleeves. These vehicles are really junk but I love them. I took it to an engine builder "Friend" almost two years ago. It's still there! The only thing he did was pull the motor and take it all apart. Now he just told me I need to get it off the property. Obviously he wont return my deposit and also obviously we are no longer "Friends" This kit would be just what the doctor ordered.

3.5 years for me and now I'm selling a truck in much worse shape than when I gave it to the "friend" for pennies

Old 10-30-2018, 11:58 AM
Winching
Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts

Even though they aren’t reliable , where I live you’ll be lucky to see another one , I constantly have people ask me about it where ever I go because they either loved them or never seen one , makes you appreciate these more than an fj or a wrangler

Old 10-30-2018, 03:35 PM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am seriously interested in this.

The following users liked this post:
ACEngineer (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 03:36 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm83616

In my opinion, it turns into a lot better vehicle without losing its original character after the LS swap. The estimated price for the conversion kit is going to be $1,500 and $1,700. This will include the bell housing adapter, motor mounts, accessory adapters, and electrical setup. By the time you factor in buying the used LS, wiring harness, ECM, fluids, hoses, miscellaneous parts etc, you are looking at around $4,000 if you do the work yourself. Options will include a harness rewire service and an emissions-capable wiring setup, which will both cost a little extra.

The first kits will be hopefully coming out around the beginning to middle of December. The emissions-capable swap kits will be ready a little while after the first kits.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Good to see things pushing forward so smoothly for you guys

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion