Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:24 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

How about under the passenger seat.
No one uses a CD player anyway and you may be able to make a bracket using the CD mounting holes?

Old 01-25-2019, 09:30 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I vote for the best compromise between cheapest and easiest. The glovebox is expendable to me.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:02 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

i'm not seriously looking at an engine swap right now, but losing the glovebox would be a deal-breaker for me. i'd stick with a rover v8 even with its issues.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:12 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by mollusc
i'm not seriously looking at an engine swap right now, but losing the glovebox would be a deal-breaker for me. i'd stick with a rover v8 even with its issues.
Wow. Curious, why is the glove box more important than mechanics reliability and longevity?

My advice to the kit builder: do what’s easiest for you to get to market ASAP. Better to get to market ASAP with a minimally viable product than it is to try to please everyone right off the bat.

Such an exciting product.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:17 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInA88
How about under the passenger seat.
No one uses a CD player anyway and you may be able to make a bracket using the CD mounting holes?
I've thought about this, but unfortunately the trunkline of wires would be difficult and obtrusive.

Originally Posted by OakBehringer

My advice to the kit builder: do what’s easiest for you to get to market ASAP. Better to get to market ASAP with a minimally viable product than it is to try to please everyone right off the bat.

Such an exciting product.
So, here's the solution that seems the most viable at this point. The spot for the jack right behind the battery is a good alternative that is free and doesn't require much modification. The ECM fits well and it is out of the elements. The GM harness does not have to be modified for length and no major trunkline is required. That should solve most cases if people do not want to lose the glovebox.

One of the great things about this swap is that the LS gives you flexibility. I think long term we will see a bit of variation between builds, to reflect the individual taste of the owner. We may introduce waterproof boxes up against the firewall as an option in the future. For the next build we will put the ECM in the jack location.

Last edited by ACEngineer; 01-25-2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Extra info
Old 01-25-2019, 05:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I made a dual battery tray years ago so i can just fit it in one of the battery slots.

The following users liked this post:
ACEngineer (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 07:16 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ACEngineer
I've thought about this, but unfortunately the trunkline of wires would be difficult and obtrusive.

So, here's the solution that seems the most viable at this point. The spot for the jack right behind the battery is a good alternative that is free and doesn't require much modification. The ECM fits well and it is out of the elements. The GM harness does not have to be modified for length and no major trunkline is required. That should solve most cases if people do not want to lose the glovebox.

One of the great things about this swap is that the LS gives you flexibility. I think long term we will see a bit of variation between builds, to reflect the individual taste of the owner. We may introduce waterproof boxes up against the firewall as an option in the future. For the next build we will put the ECM in the jack location.
This sounds great. And I totally agree with you on the future of the product being implemented in various ways. For me, personally, I enjoy projects and solving problems like this. I can NOT design and CNC mill an adapter between the engine and transmission. I need you for that! But something like “where to put the ecu” is a problem I’d be excited to solve.

Thank you for your commitment to this thread!

Old 01-25-2019, 10:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ACEngineer
The spot for the jack right behind the battery is a good alternative that is free and doesn't require much modification. The ECM fits well and it is out of the elements. The GM harness does not have to be modified for length and no major trunkline is required. That should solve most cases if people do not want to lose the glovebox.

I believe that this is the ECU location on the TD5 D2s so it should work just fine.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:41 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
I believe that this is the ECU location on the TD5 D2s so it should work just fine.
Yes, it is. For people that don't want to lose the glove box, this will work great.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Found this LM7 swapped Land Cruiser on Reddit today. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Didn't expect to see this swap on a vehicle known for it's reliability. I guess the transmissions on these aren't as robust as the ones in the 03-04 discos.
https://www.reddit.com/r/projectcar/...go_and_now_to/

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion