Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Ordered!

Going to start ordering all the other components needed.

The following 2 users liked this post by 05TurboS2K:
ACEngineer (08-09-2019), gilberjm (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Congratulations Ace! This is a real boon to this community, and will likely keep many more on the road.

The following 2 users liked this post by CollieRover:
ACEngineer (08-09-2019), gilberjm (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Huge congratulations is in order to you and the rest of your team, Ace.
Thank you to Gilber and Carter for posting about their experience, it was really relieving to hear how smooth their swaps went.
I'll be ordering once I know the LM4 engine I have is on the right track.

Ace - I've heard that the engine harness of the vehicles with the LM4 engines is slightly different that the ones that came on vehicles with the LM7. Would you recommend finding a harness that originally hooked up to an LM4 or just grabbing one for an LM7?

Old 08-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Winching
Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts

Good timing , starting to get bubbles

The following users liked this post:
ACEngineer (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Thank you all for the support! I hope that this can help keep many Discoverys on the road for a long time to come.

Originally Posted by losinov

Ace - I've heard that the engine harness of the vehicles with the LM4 engines is slightly different that the ones that came on vehicles with the LM7. Would you recommend finding a harness that originally hooked up to an LM4 or just grabbing one for an LM7?
The harnesses are different, but it shouldn't really matter. I would get a new, standalone harness, over an old, used one. Feel free to email me about options.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:26 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by losinov
Huge congratulations is in order to you and the rest of your team, Ace.
Thank you to Gilber and Carter for posting about their experience, it was really relieving to hear how smooth their swaps went.
I'll be ordering once I know the LM4 engine I have is on the right track.

I'll second ACE on this, if you have it in the budget definitely just buy a standalone from one of the companies. It takes all of the guess work out of trimming the LS harness. I'm budget conscious along with wanting to actually try it myself. It was a pain but I'm happy for the experience of actually getting it done.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYouStoleIt
I'm in the Redmond/Woodinville area and want to tackle this project myself! Would be interested in teaming up for sure..
I'm also right on the boarder of Redmond/Woodinville! Very ironic. I just ordered my kit a day ago and my engine bay is now empty. If you care to jump in on this install and use mine as a learning platform you're welcome! I'm free most weekends and some evenings during the week. It'll be a month or a little more before the kits here still.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by miron
I'm in Seattle and could lend a hand if anyone is up for the swap
Same offer as above, I'm right on the edge of Redmond/Woodinville off I-405 / 124th street exit which is Totem lake.

The following users liked this post:
Rich Spiess (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Rock Crawling

This seems relevant.
>>> DBW to DBC Conversion 03+ Harnesses <<< Click there and have a look.

DBW to DBC conversion info for 03+ harness

I too noticed there was no good way just looking at the already pulled ECUs to know anything more than their RED/BLUE or RED/GREEN designation, this seems to give a little more data which we can put to use in some cases.f

At the very end he talks about using a RED/BLUE ECM, which by the way is $50 bucks or less and a dime a dozen. I THINK he's saying the harness can be modified to be used as a typical RED/BLUE harness even though it's a GREEN BLUE harness, so long as you modify it. I know ACE said it may be possible to have it done. So, perhaps what he spells out is just what needs to be done. I couldn't quite tell if he was saying a 03Van DBC harness could be used with a RED/BLUE PCM or if a 03DBW harness could be used with a RED/BLUE PCM, which is what I would be needing.

For me, I've got a LM4 lined up but sadly it comes with a GREEN/BLUE ECU and matching harness which I'd have to spend $500-750 to replace new and throw away the included harness, then a cable throttle body and matching sensors. So others may find themselves in a situation somewhat like this.
"If you have a RED/BLUE connector PCM, you CAN use this pcm on a 03+ harness (GREEN/BLUE connector) with cable throttle, with a few simple modifications. The only thing that needs changed, other then what was talked about above, is some of the oxygen sensor wiring. On the 2003+ blue/green connector PCM's, the PCM supplies a GROUND for the oxygen sensor heater's, and 12v+ comes from the fuse block. In the 99-02, power and ground is fed directly to the o2 sensor heaters. To make the changes needed to 2003+ blue/green harness, to work with a blue/red computer is this:"

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 08-11-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:51 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls woo hoo

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
Same offer as above, I'm right on the edge of Redmond/Woodinville off I-405 / 124th street exit which is Totem lake.
I am in the Seattle area and would love to help. I plan on ordering soon and doing the swap in the winter.

Again I would love to help

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion