Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 10:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Did anyone have the Blue 71 pin on the PCM programmed to "tow haul mode" or what I would call "Land Rover Sport Mode"?

I think that pin could be easily used to function with the sport mode of the LandRover which in my case now appears to do nothing. I would like to do a little towing with it and I figure sport mode would have been the closest thing.

So it might be possible to simply connect that sport switch on the rover to the GM PCM and have it work.

Thoughts?

Old 08-16-2020, 09:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
Did anyone have the Blue 71 pin on the PCM programmed to "tow haul mode" or what I would call "Land Rover Sport Mode"?

I think that pin could be easily used to function with the sport mode of the LandRover which in my case now appears to do nothing. I would like to do a little towing with it and I figure sport mode would have been the closest thing.

So it might be possible to simply connect that sport switch on the rover to the GM PCM and have it work.

Thoughts?
The sport mode on the Land Rover changes the transmission shift points for the ZF. I noticed subtle differences with sport mode on. The GM ECM "tow haul mode" I think only affects transmission shifting tables for the GM ECM. Since those aren't used, it wouldn't change anything.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:52 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this kit work with the LT1? I have access to a 1995 LT1 with only 4K miles. It has been in a garage for 20+ years with all bracket, ECU, etc.

Thoughts?

Old 08-16-2020, 06:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by marshman442
Will this kit work with the LT1? I have access to a 1995 LT1 with only 4K miles. It has been in a garage for 20+ years with all bracket, ECU, etc.

Thoughts?
Probably not since the LT1 and earlier small block have a longer crank than most LS engines. And then also the electrical is all different.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rackolamb1
What are everyone's engine temps after completing the swap? I'm running around 195 to 199 while moving, but if I let my truck idle for a decent amount of time, it slowly creeps up to 218, maybe higher if I let it continue. This was with outside temps around 100 degrees. Anyone else seeing this? I believe the GM engine may run a bit warmer but a 20 degree swing seems like a lot.
218 is too hot. You have air in the system, clogged radiator, slipping belt etc. I never see above 210 in NC and Fl summers. Are you running clutch fan with the stock electric rover fan? Or all electric fans?

Old 08-19-2020, 12:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob81
218 is too hot. You have air in the system, clogged radiator, slipping belt etc. I never see above 210 in NC and Fl summers. Are you running clutch fan with the stock electric rover fan? Or all electric fans?
I agree, I think 218 is too hot as well. I'm running a new Nissens radiator, new ac delco water pump, belt, pulleys and hoses all new as well. I am using the original stock clutch fan setup from my Discovery. Thinking about maybe changing that out to see if that makes a difference. I remember checking the clutch and it felt ok to me a few months ago.

Old 08-19-2020, 02:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Disco 2

Originally Posted by ACEngineer
These came from a junkyard in Lakeland -- very nice and friendly people. It was our first time using them, but seeing as how things turned out, we're planning on using them in the future. They had about 20+ LS engines ready to go and said that they could do the full dropouts with the computer/harness/etc if we needed them for a competitive price. I'll forward along the contact info if you send me an email.
Hi Ace, I just got a great deal on an 04 Disco 2 with overheating issues and most likely needs a new engine. I am reading through this thread because I will be doing an LS swap (kinda planned on it when I bought the rig) and I am currently on post 295 so I still have a lot more to read but I saw you mentioned this place in Lakeland and even though I live in NC my best friend lives in Lakeland and I go down there once a month. Do you know if they still drop full engines? Like I said I still have alot of reading to do and I might be getting ahead of myself by posting now but I really want the swap to be as easy as possible since it will be my first. Thank you and I am sure I will have more questions as I get this project going, you are awesome for doing this!

My Rhino2

Old 08-19-2020, 08:10 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Im almost there... 😬

Old 08-19-2020, 10:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
The sport mode on the Land Rover changes the transmission shift points for the ZF. I noticed subtle differences with sport mode on. The GM ECM "tow haul mode" I think only affects transmission shifting tables for the GM ECM. Since those aren't used, it wouldn't change anything.
awe boooooo. Well it was a fun thought.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by GrayRhino
Hi Ace, I just got a great deal on an 04 Disco 2 with overheating issues and most likely needs a new engine. I am reading through this thread because I will be doing an LS swap (kinda planned on it when I bought the rig) and I am currently on post 295 so I still have a lot more to read but I saw you mentioned this place in Lakeland and even though I live in NC my best friend lives in Lakeland and I go down there once a month. Do you know if they still drop full engines? Like I said I still have alot of reading to do and I might be getting ahead of myself by posting now but I really want the swap to be as easy as possible since it will be my first. Thank you and I am sure I will have more questions as I get this project going, you are awesome for doing this!

My Rhino2
Nice looking rig. If you pull the trigger, we'll help ya through it. Having done one, I could do another in literally 1/10th the time now.

The following users liked this post:
losinov (08-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion