Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Dusty!
And by the way, you are right on the nose, this truck now feels like a truck should, lots of power on tap with quick throttle response. So far I have really taken it very easy, didn't want to snap something on the first test drive.
It definitely has some new found horsepower and torque.

Last edited by Shade Tree; 03-17-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome!!!
I bet you are not nearly concerned about overheating issues?!?!

Originally Posted by Shade Tree
Thanks Dusty!
And by the way, you are right on the nose, this truck now feels like a truck should, lots of power on tap with quick throttle response. So far I have really taken it very easy, didn't want to snap something on the first test drive.
It definitely has some new found horsepower and torque.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:28 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

what about all the BCM and all that it controls any problems there?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Once you get this done you need to sell an ebook on Amazon explaining the whole process.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Sorry for my recent absence. No excuse! I have been in a holding pattern, I put 100 miles on the truck and the flea-bay transmission took a dump. Way too many miles on it with no maintenance. The fluid that came out looked like burnt engine oil. No 3rd gear. I am sourcing another unit locally, and I am waiting for the right one. Did I mention I hate swapping transmissions?

To answer the most recent questions:

No overheating issues. I am using the stock radiator and stock mechanical fan. So far it runs the temp as would be expected from a 5.3 L Chevy. The all aluminum chevy motors run fairly cool especially at low load. 100 miles obviously didn't put it through any real tests, but I am confident it is a solid build. (once I get a good transmission)

BCM seems to be accepting its new role as "Keeper of all Things Rover".
It is cooperating very well. I still haven't figured out what makes those M & S lights flash constantly.

The only real update information I have is on the console shifter. So far, as assembled the P-R-N-D-L on the console don't line up properly with the positions translated from the 4L65E. The GM positions are slightly farther apart. This may be remedied with a different length shift lever bracket or I may have to dump the Rover console shifter mechanism. I hope to run across something in the boneyard. It will work like it is, but I strive for near perfection!

I am not an author (obviously) an have no aspirations of taking food off the table of persons who "Write" for a living. I am just trying to be a mediocre "Shade Tree" mechanic.

Thanks for all the support, I hope to have a replacement transmission this week.
P.S. I don't have a clue what a Rover automatic transmission costs, but I bet it is significantly more than the $300 -$500 I'm looking at on a 4L65E.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You can change the pivot point on the shifter to alter the distance it moves between gears. It might be easiest to make the change at the transmission. If the distance from the shaft on the transmission to the point where the cable attaches is reduced then that might work. You can mill a slot in the piece and play with the position until it is just right, then weld up the slot so that the mount can't shift.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If memory serves, the flashing m and s lights are usually a dying battery or a grounding problem.

I'm betting you have a floating ground that you missed when you installed the engine.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Rock Crawling

Replacement transmission is installed. I got the one out of the 2002 Yukon Denali that donated the AWD transfer case. 124K miles and it seems very solid. I also replaced the rigid transmission cooler lines with some "Northern Tool" hydraulic hoses. I needed to reroute them around the front driveshaft, (they wanted to occupy the same space) so I thought I would try something new. Quick and easy to run, but these hoses are subject to excessive exhaust heat and could fail catastrophically (ball of fire) if not protected properly. I need to fab up at least one more heat shield (already made one).
Hope to be back on the road soon!

Old 05-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's this going...of late?...I wanna do something very similar...I'm likin' this...hopin' it goes well!

Old 05-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Update for those that care.

I plan to do some serious testing this weekend. Still building heat shields for various stuff to protect from exhaust. I have ordered a Transmission Temp. gauge and sender, a new Shifter assembly(B & M from a Camaro magazine) and a few other minor parts.
I need the new shifter assembly in order to get a backup light switch and a neutral safety switch. The switch assembly on the GM transmission was sending signals meant for the BCU and did not play well with my setup.
I also look forward to having a shifter that does not feel like it is going to explode into pile of broken plastic shards any minute.

Quick Reply: Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread