Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:46 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shade Tree, this is probably less applicable to you, but just to go with the discussion on the 4L80E and the TCM. I found the TCM's are around $700. Painless makes a wiring harness for the gen 3 vortec engine that includes the TCM, a fuse block, and an OBD2 port for around the same price.

I know you are going super-low-budget and I commend you on it, but looking at the cost of a TCM for the 4l60e or 4l80e, I am leaning toward the painless harness and save some time. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone else looking into this swap.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrf23
Shade Tree, this is probably less applicable to you, but just to go with the discussion on the 4L80E and the TCM. I found the TCM's are around $700. Painless makes a wiring harness for the gen 3 vortec engine that includes the TCM, a fuse block, and an OBD2 port for around the same price.

I know you are going super-low-budget and I commend you on it, but looking at the cost of a TCM for the 4l60e or 4l80e, I am leaning toward the painless harness and save some time. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone else looking into this swap.

It does not apply in any swap IF you use the engine, transmission, transfer case, computer and harness as a group from the donor vehicle. Zero wiring or programming required for the transmission to work.
Problems are introduced when you deviate from this plan.

I don't think there is any such thing as a super-low-budget engine/transmission swap mixing different brands and throwing in 4WD, these things suck up money like a Supercharged Hoover Vacuum. I am no stranger to money pits, see list below:

Old 12-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dusty1
this seems great. ssensor provision and the hi/low bracket, using lt230. this sounds great. so not a crazy angle on the driveshaft.....just mainly a length change?
I will be by, next week, to have a look at the finished product....as I am sure you will have it all buttoned up by then.

Just let me know when and I'll take off work and ice down a few!

Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Any more updates on this?
I have an LS1-swapped 944 Turbo and I'm itching to do another LS swap on something....

Old 03-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Rock Crawling

I've been in hibernation mode for a couple of months. I am working on a big surprise for those of you that have followed this thread. What would you say to a cheap LS swap using the LT230 TC (stock LR Discovery) and inexpensive salvage GM motor and transmission? No machine shop work, no $1200 foreign made (down under) adapters. Just purchase two new driveshafts and some steel and you're all set.

More to come soon.......

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (03-03-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shade Tree
I've been in hibernation mode for a couple of months. I am working on a big surprise for those of you that have followed this thread. What would you say to a cheap LS swap using the LT230 TC (stock LR Discovery) and inexpensive salvage GM motor and transmission? No machine shop work, no $1200 foreign made (down under) adapters. Just purchase two new driveshafts and some steel and you're all set.

More to come soon.......
I'd like to hear more about that.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

ears perked....waiting

Old 03-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Jnj
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm game. Sign up. Shut up and take my money

Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Its not easy to divorce the case. I did it, and it took 2 tries.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Shade Tree

More to come soon.......
Dude, you can't leave us hanging after dropping a bomb like that! Well... I guess you can, but please don't! I'm about to start my LS conversion and I need this info.

Quick Reply: Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread