Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

02 Freelander failing emissions - check engine light not on

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Freelander failing emissions - check engine light not on

I have an 02 Freelander S with 53,000 miles on it. I took it to have Tennessee emissions test done yesterday and it failed due to a P0171 code - system too lean (Bank 1). The check engine light is not on when the car is started, although it IS on when the car is in the accessory or pre-start position, which is when they test for emissions problems. I have a code reader which cleared the code but the MIL light is still on in the pre-start position but off when I start the car. I need to figure out how to get the light to turn off (something about readiness?) so that I can pass the inspection. I just recently had the Air Intake manifold replaced, could this be part of the problem? Any ideas, suggestions? I'd appreciate any help I could get. Thanks so much!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:56 PM
4wd Low
Default RE: 02 Freelander failing emissions - check engine light not on

i actually have the very same FL and also have the very same code, although mine is on while driving. as far as i've been able to find out it is an o2 sensor but i am not sure which one it is to replace it so if you find this out to be true then please let me know and if i find out ill do the same for you.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ha ha ha, emissions test... good luck guys

Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: DCollins

i actually have the very same FL and also have the very same code, although mine is on while driving. as far as i've been able to find out it is an o2 sensor but i am not sure which one it is to replace it so if you find this out to be true then please let me know and if i find out ill do the same for you.
How many miles on your engine and exactly what codes do you have??

Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 AM
4wd Low

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: DCollins

How many miles on your engine and exactly what codes do you have??
i have an 02 FL se with 65k and the codes that i have are p0171.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 AM
4wd Low

well i took mine to a shop that i trust and had them check it out for me. and come to find out the engine code is one of many all of which pointed to a vaccum leak somewhere. so we dug further and come to find out the head gasket was blown and i have a slight knock. so i dont know what to do now. i just bought the damn thing and now this.

oh i also had the whole dissapearing coolant well it was a leaking water pump. that alone was about 500 bucks by it self.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Mudding

heres the deal with po171 just had two cars in this week ,freelanders with mileage between 50 -60k same code,both had vacum leaks at the pcv crossover pipe fitting on the drivers side of the engine witch is a black plastic fitting that seats into each intake manifold...there is an o-ring inside of the fitting that leaks...I suggest replace the entire fitting it is a pita but it fixes them... as always recheck for leaks