Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

03 freelander misfire 1 and 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:13 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 freelander misfire 1 and 3

I have noticed several folks having this same problem but I have not noticed what they have found to fix the problem. I just bought this car and I have taken to dealer to have the codes checked but they told me that I have to fix the vacuum leak and thermostat housing leak ($137 for diagnostic) and as I pulled the intake off I noticed the heads are new and the timing belts had been replaced. I did notice they had cut the + wire from the fuel injector on 1 and 3 in a couple spots all the way up to the ecu so somebody has spent some time chasing the problem I was just hoping someone could help here. I do not know if the fuel pump has been replaced for the recall, is there a way to notice if this has been done and that prevent 2 of the 3 cylinders from firing? Any help is appreciated and first time I have owned a rover and was hoping it would be a little easier...don't we all!

Old 10-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome. Please download the free shop manual set, called the RAVE, at links below. Has circuit diagrams, etc.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:33 PM
6th Gear

Thanks Savannah Buzz, the manuals are helpful but still not able to pin point the problem with cylinder 1 and 3.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM
6th Gear

Just had a local shop take a look at the misfire on 1 and 3, they checked spark, fuel, compression...all seeems good. They said next step would be pulling valve cover and see if it might be a valve or cam. From what I have read on this forum, I don't think that's what it is...but not sure...I just bought this car knowing this problem but it also has had new timing belts and new heads. So thought the problem would be easy to fix....if anyone has any other ideas please let me know...I'm at a lost right now! Thanks

Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

throw some coolant dye in after the vacuum repair and the t stat repair. Or else it will overheat anyway in a bad way.

Usually the heads are pitted or the block is leaking coolant into the oil. At the same time most misfires are from coolant related or spark plug wires or ignition coils. If it has the c oils swap them to see if it changes. if not then make sure its a got a new fuel pump. Repair the vacuum hose correctly and make sure the fuel pump recall was done. If not then it was the fuel pump causing your misfires.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM
TReK

oh and fix the problems and sell the car. it will eat you alive in costs.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
throw some coolant dye in after the vacuum repair and the t stat repair. Or else it will overheat anyway in a bad way.

Usually the heads are pitted or the block is leaking coolant into the oil. At the same time most misfires are from coolant related or spark plug wires or ignition coils. If it has the c oils swap them to see if it changes. if not then make sure its a got a new fuel pump. Repair the vacuum hose correctly and make sure the fuel pump recall was done. If not then it was the fuel pump causing your misfires.
Thanks Rovin4Life,
Here is what I know so far...I called the dealer and gave them the vin # and they told me the fuel pump had been replaced (didn't sound convincing)is there is a way to know for sure if pump had been changed? Plug wires where replaced (size 7mil) before i bought it. what does the dye do? I filled the upper line on the radiator and the resevoir with coolant...didn't see a breather port? Car has ran for 15-20 min doesnt seem to overheat. and no leaks. I replaced the Y vacuum line coming off the valve covers. The heads appear to be brand new. There is no carbon deposit at all on the heads and gaskets look new. Not sure if cam is new. Could the valve springs be broke? compression is 120 on all #1, 3, 5. Does that seem to be the right pressure?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:12 PM
TReK

the coolant dye will show up on the spark plugs. If they do then the heads are leaking coolant into the combustion chamber and its burning it off. of course they could be swapped around as well.