Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

04 Freelander HSE - A/C air conditioning problem.. blows hot air!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:32 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Freelander HSE - A/C air conditioning problem.. blows hot air!

My 2004 Freelander HSE is only blowing hot air out of the ac. Previously, it use to shoot water out onto the passengers side during right handed turns, but now it is only blowing hot air. I read it could be the heater overpowering the ac system, but it is hot before the heater even has time to heat up.

It actually appears to be whatever the temperature is outside (summer.. so mostly hot), but does cool a little bit if the temperature drops.

I already tried to refill the freon with no change in the ac temperature.. any advice?

Also, I do not believe the ac compressor is working.. when someone started the engine, I did not hear it click on (not even sure if I was supposed to so this could be a stupid comment..). Could also be irrelevant haha

Last edited by mpompliano; 07-22-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added information
Old 07-23-2012, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Shooting water out is a sign the drains are clogged. While you have this at the shop for the AC to be checked for leaks (freon went somewhere), vacuumed down, and new freon added using gauges; they can clear the drain. In the under hood fuse box fuse # 9 operates thru the AC relay to turn on the AC clutch. If fuse OK and still not engaging, the low pressure switch is probably keeping the compressor from running and destroying itself because there is no freon or very low freon in the system. If shop needs it the Freelander manuals can be downloaded as part of the RAVE factory service manual.

As for heater overpowering AC, not likely, unless blend doors are messed up. Even in tropics you may need some antifreeze (perhaps just 20%) to keep AC from freezing water in the heater core. You can bypass heater core if you like, see water flow diagram attached, items #3. Make an in-line splice, don't just cap them off or other things don't get water flow.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
free cooling.pdf (739.3 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-23-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:05 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was afraid the drains might be clogged. Is there anyway I could clear the drains myself? I looked up the schematics on the Freelander manual, but how do I flush them?

I checked the fuse and its ok. Could the clogged drains be preventing the freon I put in from working? Hopefully it is as simple as unclogging them.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The drains won't help the no cooling. You can poke a wire or stiff piece of plastic like weed whacker line up the drains and they will unclog.

You need to go by an AC shop and pay for a check (they put real gauges on), and then vac down, recover any freon left (unlikely), check for and fix leaks (freon went somewhere and air sneaked in), then refill with refrigerant. Continuing to attach a can without both gauges is a crap shoot. Too many variables.