Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

2002 Freelander , Help with codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 03:55 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Freelander , Help with codes

My Daughter just picked up a 2002 Freelander. Not long after getting it of the service engine soon light came on, I pulled the codes and found:
P0102
P1472
P1471
P1477
I have use the forum search function and I have done some "Googling" my question is which code do you think I should address first?

Old 12-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The 1400 codes you mention will not turn on the engine light by themselves as they don't create a serious emission problem. Instead, they are recorded, and when some other event occurs that triggers the light, you find out about it. Either way they are related to the VIS motors which perish from the heat and are easy to replace.

The 102 code points to a possible short to ground, or low output from the MAF itself. Since it just popped up, it may be the thing is on its last legs. I would clean it and clear the codes, see if it pops again. But before replacing the MAF, check the battery. If it's getting old, the Freelander will start to have all sorts of strange problems. It does not suffer low voltage kindly.

If you do replace the MAF, get a VDO replacement. The Chinese units will not work very well with the Siemens engine control.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:42 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rtonder
The 1400 codes you mention will not turn on the engine light by themselves as they don't create a serious emission problem. Instead, they are recorded, and when some other event occurs that triggers the light, you find out about it. Either way they are related to the VIS motors which perish from the heat and are easy to replace.

The 102 code points to a possible short to ground, or low output from the MAF itself. Since it just popped up, it may be the thing is on its last legs. I would clean it and clear the codes, see if it pops again. But before replacing the MAF, check the battery. If it's getting old, the Freelander will start to have all sorts of strange problems. It does not suffer low voltage kindly.

If you do replace the MAF, get a VDO replacement. The Chinese units will not work very well with the Siemens engine control.
Thanks for the input. I will do the battery and clean the MAF. My other daughter had a Hyundai Tiburon that had some really odd issues until we replaced the battery, the car started fine and nothing pointed to the battery as being an issue but apparently some of these modern engines can suffer from low voltage issues.