Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

2003 FL Engine Noise... and other things

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:15 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 FL Engine Noise... and other things

A few things to start.. sorry about the horrible grammar and sentence structures... if you don't feel like reading all this, go to the bottom.

Ok so I bought a 2003 FL thinking it would be a good vehicle... All went well for the first month or so and then it was like the bottom just fell out. First thing that happened was the speedometer would work on and off, which was fine with me because I always have my GPS on and it shows the speed. This speedometer problem affects the cruise control (not a big deal, I do more city driving than anything) rendering it useless. Now the check engine light comes on (I ignore it for 3 days). Now the good part, driving home from work I'm getting a little "engine sputter" while losing power going up a bridge and on the way down get this rattle through the steering wheel so bad that it got my adrenaline pumping. The bridge is less than 1/4 mile from my house so I decided to attempt the home stretch. It took my foot almost to the floor to make it across the intersection. When I get home, notice a clicking sound. I get a OBDII reading P305 and P306 (Misfire in 5 and 6). I traded out all the spark plugs and moved coil packs around.. same codes. While doing this, I noticed the breather tubing was cracked, so I ordered a new set of tubing and installed it. That was today.. When I start the vehicle, I feel the rumble through the steering wheel.

After reading all these horror stories, I'm afraid I mad a bad decision on vehicles.

ld;dr:

Bought 2003 FL with 60k
Spedo worked intermittently
Lost acceleration on bridge
Replaced spark plugs and breather tubing.
Still have rough idling, engine clicks, and rumble that can be felt through steering wheel.

any suggestions? I appreciate the help in advance!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, you have a group of problems, only related by the color of paint surrounding them. And the more info, the better.

IMHO -

1. Speedometer is related to ABS wheel sensors. From the RAVE tech manual:

The ABS ECU (C0501) provides a road wheel speed signal to the EAT ECU (C0932) via the CAN BUS on YN (low) and YB (high) wires. This information is relayed to the ECM (C0371) via the CAN BUS on YN (low) and YB (high) wires.

The ECM drives the speedometer. The ABS sends signal to ECU and the electronic transmission. This same arrangement is used in some other models, the wheel sensors are averaged and the computed speed is supplied to several modules for use in their particular function.

2. A simple as it may sound, a new battery can clear up a lot of little gremlins. Everything is packed with electronics, and you need a tip top battery and clean terminals.

3. Did you replace all wires and plugs, or just swap around? Would want those to be new. May also be time to clean the MAF and throttle body with spray made for the purpose.

4. Need more info on click - speed of click, location on engine.

Also, please be sure you have a copy of the RAVE, which has complete set of factory manuals on your truck. Free download below.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 PM
3rd Gear

I am downloading the RAVE manual as I type. Tomorrow when I get off work, I will get a clip of it and upload it if the sound quality is good enough. I have not tried to change the wires around due to not having a spec manual.

I appreciate the help! I just don't want to take it to the garage if I don't have to.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: I just don't want to take it to the garage if I don't have to

That's what most of us feel.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 PM
3rd Gear

Noisey Freelander TD4 engine - YouTube

is sounds like this. i guess its more of a knock

Old 10-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you burn oil, lose coolant? Is it over heating? What about low on oil? I didn't get a good enough listen to it to determine what it could be, Maybe get another video of it, one thats longer. If you could do both sides of the engine, and then the bottom by the oil pan that would help big time! This way we can determine if its a upper end issue or lower end issue. Do you have good oil psi?? I, so far, think that you have a issue with the upper end. But more video sound will tell.