Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

cv joints

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008 | 03:49 PM
|
6th Gear
Default cv joints

2002 freelander is it very hard to change out the front cv axels

Old 12-29-2008 | 10:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: cv joints

No, it is essentially just about the same as changing out the cv axles on a Toyota Corolla or similar front wheel drive vehicles.
With the correct tools anda little know-how, they are pretty easy to replace.

Old 12-30-2008 | 12:25 AM
2nd Gear

Take the wheel off. There is a gold nut in the center of the rotor. Take that off. Take off the nut to the tie rod end and ball joint. You may need a jack to lift the rotor to get the ball joint off. There is a wedge toolyou need to pop the ball joint and tie rod end. HIT IT HARD!!! Once those 3 nuts are off take the clip off the brake line and move the strut and rotor mount foward. I just did this today! I am awaiting parts from UPS. My axle just slipped out. Keep in mind I drove from Long Island to Albany through that snow storm before christmas. 200 miles! Ball joint, Tie rod end and axle on theright side destroyed!!It was a trip!! When I went to pull out the upper cv joint I could not get it out.... I checked it out and found there to be a snap ring. Take the wedge tool and put it between the upper cv joint and the block and hit with a hammer till it pops. Be sure to hit to the side. Look atreplacement partso you know whereand what angle to hit at.The rightside is harder than the left due to lack of space. You will flip out tring to pop everything free but it will come off. Remember to pop the new one on all the way. My father thought he did on an old mini van and had to be towed home because it was not in all the way. fell out due to the snap ring not in place. Check from the bottom to ensure the joint is right up to the block. Be safe this New Years and if your in the Lake George area in upstate New York I have hotel rooms at the Hampton Inn!! Parts or not. hahaha... Happy holidays!

Old 12-30-2008 | 12:25 PM
|
6th Gear

Hi how to tell if it is your cv joints. when i first start driving i do not feel nothing but as time gos on it starts vibrating at least that what if feels like the more u drive the worst it gets but when i let off the gas it gos away does anyone know what this mite be. Thanks

Old 12-31-2008 | 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

TacomaTech: Do you have any Land Rover mechanic recommendations you can suggest for the Tacoma/Puyallup area for a 2003 Freelander? Thanks

Old 01-05-2009 | 10:48 PM
Rock Crawling

I would strongly recommend the dealership. We have seen many Rovers that have been sent to us from other shops that have tried to diagnose and/or perform repairs and have been horribly unsuccessful. If the dealership is out of the question, then you might
consider European Motors on Steilacoom Blvd. in Lakewood.