Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

ECM-Landrover says they cant flash a used unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM-Landrover says they cant flash a used unit?

Is this true or false? I have my 03 Freelander in the shop. I have codes showing misfire on #4 cyl and they have determined that the ECM needs to be replaced. My question is this. There are many ecm's for sale on the internet. Why can't I buy one and put it in and have them re-flash it. I suggested I do this but they said once an ecm has been flashed with a vin#, it cannot be re-flashed with another. I am trying to get out of buying a new ecm from Landrover at the tune of $1000. Any ideas? (shop= Certified Landrover Dealership) All recalls and current updates have been recently done by the dealership.

Last edited by ohhhthreefreelander; 10-28-2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: to add specific information
Old 10-28-2010, 06:25 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ECMs do not go bad on those vehicles. And yes they have to be new. Unless the ecu is holding the injector open and causing the problem then I would severly doubt the ecu is actually bad. Freelanders are a hard vehicle to work on if you don't know what you are doing. If the fuel pump recall has been done, Does it misfire in the morning. Are the plugs covered in coolant. Many a plug goes bad cause the coolant gets into the cylinders from the leaking head gaskets. Usually they begins to pit the heads as well. you need to check to make sure. Add dye to the coolant and then run it a few a week to make sure the coolant isn't getting into the oil or the combustion chamber. And finally check to make sure there are no obvious air leaks and that the maf sensor works properly. Plus if they think its an ECU when it gives them a 606 code then they need to look at all the codes. We have lots of problems with the throttle body connector going bad. There is a bulletin for the problem. Please pm with the details so you don't get screwed.