Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Freelander 2 TD4 restricts rpm at 3,000 - possible causes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Freelander 2 TD4 restricts rpm at 3,000 - possible causes?

Hi all! I’d be very glad for any advice you may be able to provide!

My Land Rover Freelander 2 (L359) 2008, 2.2L TD4, goes into limp mode, restricting rpm at 3,000. The check engine light goes on (although the problem can occur for a while before that happens) and the dashboard displays the messages: “restricted engine performance” and “engine system failure”. My mechanic told me that the fault code is P2562 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit”. The issue normally occurs when the car has “warmed up”, or been driven for more than 30 minutes (or less in hot weather), and once it occurs it gets progressively worse (i.e. happening more frequently) and eventually the car goes into a constant state of restricted mode; until the fault is erased by a diagnostic tool.

My mechanic has tried the following so far: changed fuel filter, oil filter, and air filter; changed the turbo sensor; changed the mechanic part of the actuator; cleaned the DPF and the catalyst; checked and cleaned the EGR valve.

We were advised, by a mechanic who works in the official Land Rover service, and who has dealt with a similar problem before, to check the swirl valves of the suction collectors, which my mechanic did, saying that they had some breaks. He glued them together but that didn’t help. Could it be that they have to be replaced altogether? He’s also saying that there’s some valve which should be making a vacuum, but instead of staying open when it should, it closes without a trigger. Could that be the culprit?

Subsequently we took the car to the official Land Rover service for diagnosis. They’re saying that the problem is in the turbo actuator and they’re saying that the turbo needs to be replaced. They also said that it had been replaced once already. The quote they’ve given me is in excess of £2,500 and as this is an extremely expensive repair, I’d like to be certain that the problem will be eliminated by replacing the turbo.

I’ve read on various forums that a few people who had the same problem have had their turbo replaced, which didn’t resolve the problem.

Do you have any advice on what could be the cause of the problem? Could the P2562 fault code really mean that the turbo needs replacing, or is there elsewhere we should be looking at?

I’d appreciate any thoughts and advice you may have!

Last edited by 10milestereo; 07-05-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:16 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
May I know hows your Freelander? Has the issue been resolved?
Im having the exact problem as yours. Wonder the turbocharger replacement works?
Thanks

Old 05-25-2020, 05:07 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Freeland
Hi
May I know hows your Freelander? Has the issue been resolved?
Im having the exact problem as yours. Wonder the turbocharger replacement works?
Thanks
Hi Mark,

The issue has been resolved, and here's a quick update:

We did replace the turbo charger, with a brand new one, however that didn't fix the problem. After some more back and forth, my mechanic noticed, while driving the car with the diagnostic computer on, that the temperature going into the DPF was 300C. They then looked into the DPF in more detail and discovered that the cable going in was corroded, which was causing the off-the-charts reading, and the whole issue! They patched the cable up together and a year on, everything has been perfect.

I hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
Mo-Tech (05-25-2022)
Old 05-26-2020, 02:35 AM
2nd Gear

Thank you for prompt reply!
Maybe I should have all the other parts checked before straight to the Turbocharger replacement which cost around £5,000 in my country. That’s a very expensive replacement but uncertain.
Since I have been driving the car and understand the car well than any other mechanics. I don’t think it’s the turbocharger problem.
It happened out of sudden both the Low Coolant Level and Reduced Engine Performance signs popping up at the same time. Low power. Engine temperature went up. Pull over and found out one of the coolant hoses was loosen. Had it replaced few days later.
But the car still in Reduced Engine Performance sign popping up. Low power. Not able to rev more than 2300rpm.
Don’t think it’s a turbocharger problem. Any idea what’s wrong? Thank you

Old 10-18-2021, 07:45 AM
1st Gear
Default limp mode

Originally Posted by 10milestereo
Hi all! I’d be very glad for any advice you may be able to provide!

My Land Rover Freelander 2 (L359) 2008, 2.2L TD4, goes into limp mode, restricting rpm at 3,000. The check engine light goes on (although the problem can occur for a while before that happens) and the dashboard displays the messages: “restricted engine performance” and “engine system failure”. My mechanic told me that the fault code is P2562 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit”. The issue normally occurs when the car has “warmed up”, or been driven for more than 30 minutes (or less in hot weather), and once it occurs it gets progressively worse (i.e. happening more frequently) and eventually the car goes into a constant state of restricted mode; until the fault is erased by a diagnostic tool.

My mechanic has tried the following so far: changed fuel filter, oil filter, and air filter; changed the turbo sensor; changed the mechanic part of the actuator; cleaned the DPF and the catalyst; checked and cleaned the EGR valve.

We were advised, by a mechanic who works in the official Land Rover service, and who has dealt with a similar problem before, to check the swirl valves of the suction collectors, which my mechanic did, saying that they had some breaks. He glued them together but that didn’t help. Could it be that they have to be replaced altogether? He’s also saying that there’s some valve which should be making a vacuum, but instead of staying open when it should, it closes without a trigger. Could that be the culprit?

Subsequently we took the car to the official Land Rover service for diagnosis. They’re saying that the problem is in the turbo actuator and they’re saying that the turbo needs to be replaced. They also said that it had been replaced once already. The quote they’ve given me is in excess of £2,500 and as this is an extremely expensive repair, I’d like to be certain that the problem will be eliminated by replacing the turbo.

I’ve read on various forums that a few people who had the same problem have had their turbo replaced, which didn’t resolve the problem.

Do you have any advice on what could be the cause of the problem? Could the P2562 fault code really mean that the turbo needs replacing, or is there elsewhere we should be looking at?

I’d appreciate any thoughts and advice you may have!
restr
i have the same problem can anyone give advice please my local dealership seems to be baffled

Old 02-06-2022, 04:04 AM
3rd Gear

I had a similar issue on 6.2 Silverado. My mechanic advised me to change the engine oil and turbocharger. The Best Supercharger for 6.2 Silverado was taken here https://nashvilleperformance.com/bes...6-2-silverado/ of very good quality, so I think your problem will be solved by replacing the turbocharger

Last edited by James44; 02-10-2022 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speed Test

Last edited by severiano; 05-23-2022 at 07:33 AM.