Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Interesting Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Vibration

I have an '02 Freelander with a vibration plague. The vibration occurs mainly at freeway speeds. However, it isn't always present. You can get up to speed (say 70 mph) and have no vibration. After cruising for a few miles, you may start to feel it. Then, all of the sudden, it gets so bad you have to slow down. Then "snap" its gone for a couple miles. This coming and going continues...

The vibration doesn't move the steering wheel, and sounds much like a worn CV in the front left.

The front left ball joint was found to be bad, and that was replaced. However, the vibration continued.

Next the Left front axle was replaced, and yet this vibration continues.

Also, another syptom is the feeling of a slight chatter when making right hand turns.

I have my rover back in the shop today, and could use any insight as the shop seems to be frustrated as well.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

sounds like a cv, the rh half shaft is right next to the exhaust, and fails regularly. does it feel shakey when accelerating kind of hard from about 10 to 30?

Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 AM
4wd High

Yes it does feel shakey when accelerating through that range.

The rh shaft was the conclusion of the shop as well. They are going to replace it today, and I will let you know what happens.

They said that they drove it, made a hard right, and put it on the lift. When they did this, they could pull the outer joint inward about a half inch, and that was how they knew it was bad.

What I have been to deduce is that the vibration tends to start quicly when I am on pavement that has those "rain grooves" formed into it. Although it happens on ordinary blacktop, it is not nearly as frequent.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

well, i think they have the right diag, way off on why, rovers have a good amount of lateral play designed into the cv's so that they can articulate the susp as much as they do

Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 AM
4wd High

The RH shaft was changed, and that has removed all but the smallest amount of vibration. I still don't feel like my drive train is completely straight, but they said they cant find anything wrong with any of the drive components or the suspension.

I also don't understand why one day it drives smooth, and the next both axles are shot.

Thanks for the information, it is always good to have a second opinion.