Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

service engine soon!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service engine soon!

that light came on yesterday when i left last night, underneath the rpm gauge, not the one under the speedo. rover didn't want to go over 30 mph, turned around after a few blocks to go back home, popped the hood and saw nothing obviously wrong, the coolant level was up to the max point when it was previously down below the minimum line earlier in the day when i checked it. turned off the engine and restarted it and no service engine light and it drove normally, after a stop at the store I popped the hood again after seeing some steam come out from the front of the hood by the letters. drove to a friends house and back later with no apparent problems. Is this another quirk that these vehicles have or is it just mines? Why would it be limited to 30 mph, is it a sfety feature of some sort? Drove it again today with no light coming on.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: service engine soon!

Since this incident it hasn't happened again. Now that I think back it may have been caused when I checked the oil earlier that day as I remember some oil dripping onto the belt right by the dipstick I assume that this is the accessory/serpentine belt for the water pump, power steering/ etc. and that the oil on it was causing the water pump not to function properly? Has anyone had this or something similar? If this is a common thing then I'll just trade it in and take a loss on it! Quick replies would be appreciated, got the pink in hand and ready to trade her in for something more reliable!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: service engine soon!

I have an 05 Freelander and my service engine soon light came on early on. It ended up being a problem with the fuel cap! They replaced it and reset the light. For a while during the season change from fall to winterthe lightwould come on and then go off. It did that for 2-3 days and it has not come on since.