Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Td4 electrical problems, no start no obd power

Old 09-02-2017, 04:45 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Td4 electrical problems, no start no obd power

Hi all ,
I have a freelander td4 2003 that has been sitting in my ex's driveway for the last few days , hooray.
I was driving there early this week and i noticed the clock was not showing the time.

I thought it was a fuse needed changing so when i got there i started to check the fuses and found the fog lamp fuse blown but all others ok .
Then i noticed that there was no power to the rear door and i could not open it to let the dog out. Started checking the doors and found that central locking , door windows and radio also had no power to them.
got out my icarsoft code reader to check for codes but there was no power coming from the obd to power up the code reader .
At this point i started to get a bit worried and turned the key in the ignition and all lights came on as usual. turned the key more to start the engine and there was a 1 or 2 second delay before the starter motor started to crank and it cranked away but the engine would not start.
called out the AA and the AA guy checked all fuses with a multimeter and cleaned battery connectors and earth from battery to chassis with a wire brush but no joy . He was of the opinion that it could be the ecu or the body control unit and politely went on his way.
I have spent deveral hours checking and rechecking fuses and relays visually and checking all wiring looms i can see with a lamp and a small mirror with no obvious signs of chafed or heat damged wires .
My nearest auto electrician is an hours drive away and he is not free till next week so i thought i would post my problem here in the hopes that someone might be able to suggest a course of action or a possible culprit before i get a recovery truck to lug the car up the road next week.

Thanks for reading this long post

Dave

Old 05-29-2020, 03:52 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ponylander
Hi all ,
I have a freelander td4 2003 that has been sitting in my ex's driveway for the last few days , hooray.
I was driving there early this week and i noticed the clock was not showing the time.

I thought it was a fuse needed changing so when i got there i started to check the fuses and found the fog lamp fuse blown but all others ok .
Then i noticed that there was no power to the rear door and i could not open it to let the dog out. Started checking the doors and found that central locking , door windows and radio also had no power to them.
got out my icarsoft code reader to check for codes but there was no power coming from the obd to power up the code reader .
At this point i started to get a bit worried and turned the key in the ignition and all lights came on as usual. turned the key more to start the engine and there was a 1 or 2 second delay before the starter motor started to crank and it cranked away but the engine would not start.
called out the AA and the AA guy checked all fuses with a multimeter and cleaned battery connectors and earth from battery to chassis with a wire brush but no joy . He was of the opinion that it could be the ecu or the body control unit and politely went on his way.
I have spent deveral hours checking and rechecking fuses and relays visually and checking all wiring looms i can see with a lamp and a small mirror with no obvious signs of chafed or heat damged wires .
My nearest auto electrician is an hours drive away and he is not free till next week so i thought i would post my problem here in the hopes that someone might be able to suggest a course of action or a possible culprit before i get a recovery truck to lug the car up the road next week.

Thanks for reading this long post

Dave
Hey Dave,

Ive come across this post and im having the same trouble! Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks in advance
Jade