Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Is there an uprated head gasket available?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 10:59 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there an uprated head gasket available?

Hi

I have just bought my wife a 2001, 1.8i Freelander es, it has done 32000miles and i am worried about all the head gasket stories i am now reading. Does any one know it there is an uprated gasket that is available for this, that if fitted prior to any problems would solve the issue?

Many thanks
tweaky

Old 02-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Is there an uprated head gasket available?

They started fitting the improved headgasket from 2000 I understand, but could be wrong. Basically, it would cost you about £600 to change it, so, is not something you should rush into, just for a peace of mind thing. The gasket does not just suddenly cause the engine to go bang, we have had the same happen on our rover 200, and still drove it home unknownly...

All you need to do is keep a check on coolant level, (if this drops and you see no sign of leaks, then the gasket has maybe gone), also check the oil level. Also when checking the oil and coolant, if the gasket has gone, you will see traces of oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil.

Also another indicator is if you see over heating starting to happen. As long as the temp gauge remains steady all the time, at about the half way mark it is fine.

Hope that helps...

Old 04-23-2005, 03:07 PM
4wd High

I have an 03 SE and one night on the way home I noticed that the temp shot up. I stoped at that moment and saw that my coolant was low. After a short time I added coolant right away from a local station. Since then I've lost coolant at a rate of about a 1/2 quart a week. I've also noticed a little thick oil on the oil cap but not on the dip stick. I'm not sure if this is new or not. Is my head gasket gone? I've heard a lot about this lately. Is it a dealer recall item?

Old 05-22-2005, 03:06 AM
4wd High

Thanks Lightning90. Well, I keep loosing coolant at about a liter every 3 weeks. The oil look fine, and the temp is good too. I added a couple of bottles of Bar's Stop Leak with no effect. For now I'll just continue monitoring and wait untill the real problem shows itself more clearly. I'm coming up on 60K miles now and except for that, the little truck runs like a top.

Old 07-23-2005, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear

Those interested in the latest developments in the Freelander 1.8lt K-series blown head gasket saga should visit http://freelander.webhop.net/ and join the Freelander Action Committee now.