Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Thinking of buying a freelander

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Tom hit the nail on the head, I would like a freelander as a daily driver if it had the European diesel
Crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcr apcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcr apcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcr apcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcr apcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcr apcrapcrap

Old 10-18-2013, 09:01 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh... while I agree that the Freelander has some serious issues that should be rectified by the dealer.... I also think that a good majority of the issues are compounded by the drivers who don't follow the recommendations.

How many complain of engine trouble.. overheating... sleeve slipping.. ect... yet decided it was OK to get the oil changed at the local joint who sold them conventional 5w-30, instead of the 5w-40/5w-50 full synthetic required?

How many complain about driveability issues... when they ran 87 cheap gas, instead of the 91 octane recommended?

Is the freeland awesome? No! Is it the worst? For some, yes. However, for those willing to actually maintain their vehicles, and enjoy that aspect of ownership... they aren't crap either. Over engineered, for sure. But fun.

If you are the kind of driver that wants to get into a vehicle, and go without a second thought. Never check your oil. Never change your own oil. Trust the jiffy lube guy. Run the cheapest gas... and wait til something goes wrong to lift the hood, then I agree.. the Freelander is not for you.

I read some of these complaints... and remember what it was like to adjust points, carbs, timing, ect... and kinda chuckle. I think the land rover harkens back to a different era where it was considered fun to maintain & tune your vehicle.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TobaTekSingh
Crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcr apcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcr apcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcr apcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcr apcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcr apcrapcrap
well, can you expound upon that, a bit? its not that I do not understand crapcrap, but I would like to hear your thoughts on the subject and not the posts

Old 10-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I'll expand on his post for you, he has a north american spec(NAS) Freelander, and it is crap. He has no knowledge of the Rest of the World (ROW) spec Freelander.

The ROW freelander's had better engine and trans choices. That returned decent power, good economy and were reliable.

So not knowing that he assumes they are all crap, like the NAS Freelander

Last edited by ArmyRover; 10-18-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

got it.. I have one of those bubbles also,.,.,.. but there is no freelander in it .

Last edited by dusty1; 10-20-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Drunken fool
Old 10-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I like both of mine, do my own work on them. They are quick, handle like a sports car to me, but I'm old. They were made in Sollihul, right next to the Disco and RR. The Kv6 engine was made by Rover car group, 4 cams and 4 valves per cylinder, 170 Hp from 2.5 liters. Off road they are a treat and will surprise you. Engine is hand built, don't cook it and never use anything but synthetic oil or you will take out the cams. My two cents.