Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Wahts the deal with Freelanders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wahts the deal with Freelanders?

I am a pretty good wrencher and own seven vehicles and a boat and do 90% of my own work sans alignment and painting. I own a 01 Disco and it's been great so far. I see alot of Freelanders on Craigslist with engine failures at low miles!! One guy up here (MN USA) has an 04 with only 60k but it has a blown engine with a"sleeve problem" ? He has another used engine and will sell the whole set: Freelander with a pulled engine and a used replacement engine for $1900 firm.

They seem like nice little USA and maybe they arnt gas hogs like the others but they always seem to have bad engines with serious issues at low miles what's up?

My second question is: Can you repair the engines in a way the that repairs the enginnering defect that causes the premature failures? If I bought the vehicle and installed the "new " actually used replacement motor would it do the same thing again?

They seem like theyd be nice little SUVs a little classier than for example a RAV 4.

Any input would be great

Thanks

Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

While it won't be long before some pros report on this, one way to look at it is all the problems of past Discos concentrated in a smaller package. It is as if the engineering group is run by seniority, and those guys that bored out the block, used the wrong sort of sleeves, etc., now had a new platform to deal with. Exhibit A attached for the court review by partz vulturez - the cooling system. Just how many hoses and clamps are needed? Engineers run amok.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
free cooling.pdf (63.6 KB, 192 views)
Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair engines

Yes they will have the same problems as the original. I replaced original at 78,000 and will now have to change the repaired one at 96,000.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife looked at Freelanders before I did some research. She got an audi instead.

If you google along the lines of "Freelander engine problems", youll see why there are so many with blown engines. Reading the accounts, it is shocking that there hasnt been a class-action suit.

In summary:
The engine is some chinese made POS. I dont know what the cause is, but it has tons of issues with cooling, cracked blocks, and slipped sleeves. If you do get one, you have to be vigilant about maintaining the coolant and listening for the first signs of odd engine noises.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear
Angry Whats wrong with freelanders???

In a word, "everything"! They are the biggest piece of crap ever made, and that includes the Yugo and the Pinto! My advice to anyone thinking of buying a Land Rover and especially a Freelander is: DON'T, unless you plan on getting rid of it before the warranty expires. And even then expect to make many trips to the dealer for repairs.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcglfr
In a word, "everything"! They are the biggest piece of crap ever made, and that includes the Yugo and the Pinto! My advice to anyone thinking of buying a Land Rover and especially a Freelander is: DON'T, unless you plan on getting rid of it before the warranty expires. And even then expect to make many trips to the dealer for repairs.
Shut the hell up troll. You just can't maintain one dumb bitch

Old 08-16-2012, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

long time reader. first time poster.

Some out there may have sen my positng elsewhere, however i am a former Freelander owner. Daily driver. Lot of road travel for work.
I bought my 03 with 106K. Drove it till 154K and had to put in a replacement engine. Should have ran then, but i didnt. I traded in the Freelander with 312K on the odo.

Of course i had some of the normal issues with the Freelander, but it was the best vehicle i have driven. Ride was very tight and smooth. Winter driving was never an issue. It was a bit spartan with regards to the interior.

I traded in after finally experiencing other maintenance items that would begin to nickle and dime me too much.

Fun to drive. Great looking vehicle. Much capability.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:27 AM
2nd Gear
Default EGR failure and Engine replacement

Finally, I have found a thread which possibly reflects my problem with a 2007 Freelander 2 TD4. EGR system was found to have water and scrap metal in it at 3000km and it was replaced. Then at 65,000km, without a single sound or warning light, the engine stopped in mid-traffic. Dealer service said water in the engine from when I had driven through deep water which I had not. They said that the engine would have failed within 50 metres of going through water. That day and 10 days before no rain and I have not yet taken the car into any rough terrain, in a river or on a beach. When the engine was taken out to be replaced with a new one, they found corrosion on one of the injectors and needless to say broken metal everywhere as the valve rockers had broken causing catastrophic damage to pistons, conrods, cylinder head etc. Dealer had no acceptable explanation how water entered the engine but that was the cause??? The car is just over 4.5 years old so no warranty due to time even though well short of 100,000km portion of warranty!! Land Rover said not their problem and no goodwill forthcoming. I am stuck with a $20,000 bill and no idea why it went so wrong. Can the two water incidents be related as I have no clue as a non-technical; person but I do not intend to let this die especially after reading the other comments. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like way past time for an attorney. You authorized $20,000 in repairs? The dealership did $20,000 in repairs without an approved estimate? Ouch.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by rcglfr
in a word, "everything"! They are the biggest piece of crap ever made, and that includes the yugo and the pinto! My advice to anyone thinking of buying a land rover and especially a freelander is: Don't, unless you plan on getting rid of it before the warranty expires. And even then expect to make many trips to the dealer for repairs.

gtfo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Wahts the deal with Freelanders?