General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"TRANSFER NEUTRAL" PROBLEM ON '96 RANGE ROVER 4.6 HSE

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "TRANSFER NEUTRAL" PROBLEM ON '96 RANGE ROVER 4.6 HSE

YESTERDAY MORNING, AFTER TAKING MY KID TO SCHOOL, RANGE WAS OK, WHEN I PARKED, I NOTICED THAT THE PASSENGERS SEAT COULD NOT MOVE AT ALL, I CHECKED THE FUSES AND WERE OK, I THEN CHECKED THE SMALL LITTLE ENGINE IN THE BACK OF THE SEAT AND IT WAS REALLY HOT. I PROCEEDED TO CHECK IT OUT TRYING TO FIX IT,,,,,,,I ENDED UP TAKING IT OFF IN ORDER TO REPLACE IT……MINUTES LATER WHEN ABOUT TO TAKE OFF, I TURNED THE ENGINE ON THEN A “TRANSFER NEUTRAL” MESSAGE STARTED APPEARING IN THE MESSAGE BOARD AND THE RANGE WOULD JUST NOT MOVE AT ALL,,,,,I MEAN, WITH THE ENGINE ON
I'M ABLE TO SWITCH THE LEVER TO R, D AND N MODES, BUT VEHICLE IT DOESN’T MOVE AT ALL,,NO REVERSE AND NO FORWARD……WHEN I PUSH LEVER BACK TO “P” PARKING, A WEIRD CRACKING SOUND (LIKE IF THE TRANSMISSION DOESN’T ENGAGE) CAN BE HEARD FROM UNDERNEATH THE VEHICLE..WHEN MOVING THE SEAT AND CHECKING THE FUSES, I MADE SURE EVERYTHING WAS WELL CONNECTED AND FUSES WORKING……. HELP!!

Old 03-21-2006, 07:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: "TRANSFER NEUTRAL" PROBLEM ON '96 RANGE ROVER 4.6 HSE

I had a similar problem sometime ago. To cut a long story short, I thought I would be clever and check all the fuses on the side of the drivers seat. I then went to move the car, and “gearbox fault” was displayed along with gears that would not engage. After a lot of messing around, I discovered that there is a fuse on the bottom right hand side that should be left vacant; it can be identified by looking at the fuse guide and seeing if there is a fuse in a space that should be empty. I only put a fuse there as it had clips to house a fuse.

Apparently, this fuse is for factory delivery and is inserted to enable some testbook tests to be run.

Hope this helped

Regards

PB

Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Mudding

that space is the Transfer Neutral space, if you have a 5 amp or larger fuse in that, the next time you turn the car on the Transfer Case disconnects the wheels from the transmission, take that fuse out, turn the car on and it should switch back into High mode, hope it works.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Three Wheeling

yes that is it I am sure. It is intended for when you need to tow the vehicle.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:37 AM
3rd Gear

alright i know this is a old post but i have a 96 range and one mornig the windows would not roll up so, i started to put new fuse's in them and i guess the same thing happen to me! the range was driving fine before and when i start to put it back in park it does that cracking sound so it has to be the same thing but i don't have a manunul for the range so i don't know where what goes!? so would anybody have any answers for me please help.....

Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Manual is in the free download called the RAVE at link below. Some Range Rovers have an electric motor that moves the internal high/low/lock functions for the transfer case, this motor can get out of position, and need adjustment. All in the books.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Because you are from Oklahoma, here is the section of the book on transfer case. If you download your own copy it will be higher definition. No RTV required.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rr xfr 1.PDF (1.20 MB, 1004 views)
File Type: pdf
rr xfr 2.PDF (1.08 MB, 549 views)
Old 10-13-2011, 07:02 PM
3rd Gear

WOW, So i guess your telling me that i should get a Mechanic on it huh? One question, so i was just replacing a fuse and now i have to fix something in the trasnfer case!? and thanks you very much i needed to get some answers bad and you are very helpful...

Old 10-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Well, this site leans toward the DIY, but that is hard to do if all you have is a road map and whatever the previous owner left in the glove box. The RAVE is a help.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear

Oh and i more thing, would you happen to have a picture diagram for the fuse box? Just so i know all the fuses are in the right spot bc i don't have a manul?!

Quick Reply: "TRANSFER NEUTRAL" PROBLEM ON '96 RANGE ROVER 4.6 HSE