General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 range rover stereo help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:32 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 range rover stereo help!

Okay this is my problem. I just recently purchased a 2003 range rover HSE. While i was driving it, my stereo started to act funny, it would randomly turn off my radio and turn it back on.. then my signal lights wouldent work when my stereo wouldent work, then when it did work it was fine. Then finally when I parked the car and started it up agian, car was fine the signal lights were fine the only thing that did not work was the radio PORTION of the head unit. So the gps works fine but the second I push the left button to turn on the radio and sound part nothing would happen. There wouldent even be that light that shows the radio portion is activated. Is it the actual head unit that would need replacing?...

I was thinking of just getting an after market deck somewhere in the range. Keep the head unit just bypass all the wiring and connect a new head unit (single din). i would lose out on the steering wheel controls and the cd changer..

Any ideas?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:03 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

need to have it diagnosed first. sounds like a nav issue if I remember from that year but need to go to the dealer for the diag. And the head unit isn't the audio unit. They are quite complicated and if you screw up nothing works

Old 01-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ground Fault?

I don't see how the signal lights could be related to the radio other than ground. In most cases where there's poor ground, turning on one device will cause another device to stop working. It's a hard one to diagnose, even with wiring diagrams. I'd probably start by turning on the signals and radio, then start tapping arround. There's a more scientific way to do this, but if you don't have diagrams...

As for replacing the head unit, is it worth losing your nav? You may want to just add on to the existing system. It's actually a pretty decent system, just tuned by some deaf old guy. If you add an EQ to take out the mids, you'd be much happier. It's capable of producing very clear highs. If you want more bass, just add a sub. The OEM subs produce very clear lows, but not at great volume.