General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Range Rover SE, A/C, Bypass system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Range Rover SE, A/C, Bypass system?

My RRSE will not activate the A/C via normal controls. The compressor works if powered independently. If I rewire and install a switch, will that blow out the compressor? I truly don't know what to do except pay some mechanic through the f'ng nose to fix it. It isn't fuses, relays, or anything obvious (all checked). If I wire it direct and control with a switch, it will work, but I'm concerned it will cause problems because it is too easy of a solution. Bear in mind I am not a mechanic but someone who learned to Rube Goldberg stuff to make it work.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

it's either empty, (bad condenser) or the trinary switch is shot. Either way AC is for the pros.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Dr. Goldberg, if you apply direct power to the compressor eliminating all safety circuits, the compressor can self destruct just like running the engine without oil. There is a reason they have safety limit switches, and it protects the high dollar compressor and your wallet. If there is no refrigerant present, it had to go somewhere, so the pro will find the leak, repair, vac system down to get rid of any water, and refill with proper quantity of refrigerant. By the time you buy a set of gauges and a vacuum pump you have spent most if not all of what a basic service costs. And you have not even come close to the cost of the refrigerant recovery machine. Running an AC compressor without refrigerant and oil is like running motor without oil.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-16-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by savannah buzz
dr. Goldberg, if you apply diect power to the compressor eliminating all safety circuits, the compressor can self destruct just like running the engine without oil. There is a reason they have safety limit switches, and it protects the high dollar compressor and your wallet. If there is no refrigerant present, it had to go somewhere, so the pro will find the leak, repair, vac system down to get rid of any water, and refill with proper quantity of refrigerant. By the time you buy a set of gauges and a vacuum pump you have spent most if not all of what a basic service costs. And you have not even come close to the cost of the refrigerant recovery machine. Running an ac compressor without refrigerant and oil is like running motor without oil.
...........................................shazzzz zzam!!!........................................... .............