General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 03:15 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS brakes

I have a 91 range rover classic. Recently my abs pump has been acting up, making loud buzzing noise and never shuts off. My ABS light stays on and I noticed that my line from my brake fluid resivor to my abs brake pump was cracked. I changed the line and attempted to bleed the brakes. It appeared to work, I got the pressure back into my brakes. I drove it for about 10 miles with no ABS light on and pressure in the brakes when the ABS light came on, lost pressure to the brakes and the pump started buzzing again? I assume that the problem is the ABS pump or even more the pressure switch but could the problem be that I did not bleed the brakes properly? Should I try bleeding the brakes again?
Disco Mike I thank you for responding to my previous post and this one has a little bit more detailed info maybe to help in understanding my problem. Any assistance in this area before I spend $$$ on a new one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: ABS brakes

You may have a bad accumulator, when it fails, the system has a hard time keeping up pressure and the pump runs alot.
Mike

Old 08-20-2006, 01:35 AM
5th Gear

Does anyone know how to clear the ABS light besides disconnecting the battery?

Old 08-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Boarder209

Does anyone know how to clear the ABS light besides disconnecting the battery?
Two things, what did you do to repair the problem, light will just come bck on if it is not repaired.
Second thought is I am not sure you can clear the codes by dropping the battery, I think it will take a test book to clear the codes and turn off the lights. Also if you can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery, make sure you have your radio code first or you are out one radio.
Good luck,
Mike

Old 08-20-2006, 05:41 PM
5th Gear

Two things, what did you do to repair the problem, light will just come bck on if it is not repaired.
Second thought is I am not sure you can clear the codes by dropping the battery, I think it will take a test book to clear the codes and turn off the lights. Also if you can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery, make sure you have your radio code first or you are out one radio.
Good luck,
Mike

The only problem that I had was a cracked line from my brake fluid resivor to my ABS pump. I changed the line and bleed the brakes and everything works good except my ABS light will not turn off. My radio is not a problem and where can I find the codes??

Old 08-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Boarder209

Good luck,
Mike

The only problem that I had was a cracked line from my brake fluid resivor to my ABS pump. I changed the line and bleed the brakes and everything works good except my ABS light will not turn off. My radio is not a problem and where can I find the codes??
That is the problem, as a 91, you probably won't be able to ge the radio code from Rover cause they didn't keep them that long.
Did you not ever have it written down in your owners manual, on an old work order at the dealership or some place??
This is why I was concerned for you, cause you are poop out of luck if you unhook that battery.
You will need to talk to a shop about scanning and removing the code for you.
Mike

Old 08-20-2006, 11:49 PM
5th Gear

The radio is not a problem. I have an after market one anyway. I am just concerned with clearing the ABS light. I appreciate your input.