General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Immobilizer Issue

Old 09-18-2010, 12:38 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Immobilizer Issue

I have been working on a clients car with a immobilizer issue.

The car is a 1999 Range rover p38a. This is a US model.

The fault codes under the petrol engine are:
P1666
P1667
P1668

Some of the dashboard messages are
"All windows not set"
"Sunroof not set"
"Eas Manual"

I am using the Autologic, which seems to have good connections with the modules concerned, I have tried a few things already:

Primary EKA procedure, secondary EKA procedure according to:

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...ecm/alarm.html

1.)I am probably going to try and recode the BECM, cause something odd happens when reading the fault codes. There are 3, and when I clear them, 6 come up. But when I re-read, there are only 3.

2.)I have read in multiple threads that it can easily be the BeCM module acting up, and to send it out. But I have the diagnostic equipment required to do a diagnostic repair, what is it exactly that a few of these guys I hear about are doing? Electrical? Or computer related?

3.)I am also questioning the door lock, and will run some tests on it today.

4.)I had the batteries replaced in the key fobs, because they do not unlock/lock the door, but can enter manually. The alarm went off the first few times the customer tried to get in, but now it does not go off when turning the key.

Thanks for your time and input !

Old 09-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Windows not set means they are "not set". They have an anti-trap function that will keep you from getting your hand stuck in the window when it goes up automatically. To get rid of the message, you need to roll each window individually down and up. On the up part, hold down the button till it says "window set". EAS manual means that the air suspension is disabled or in "manual mode". The rover probably has coils now instead of air bags. Do you know if this is a bosch or gems rover?

P1666 FIP crank reference synchronization (CRS)

P1667 CI (Computer controlled distributorless Ignition?) circuit malfunction

P1668 PCM-IDM communication error

The security system problem could be a number of things. I believe you can send the BECM out and have them reprogram a reconditioned unit with your old settings. I also think they can disable all of the immobilization features that cause tons of headaches. Unless you have a rovacom or the official dealer computer, I don't think you can do much in terms of re-programming the BECM. There is someone on ebay who exchanges the BECMs for $300.