General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

99 D1 V8 Engine Immobilizer problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:20 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 D1 V8 Engine Immobilizer problems

I have an ongoing problem with the engine imobolizer on a 99D1 V8. It runs rough as crap at low idel or around town and eventualy stalls, if I lift the bonnet and push the engine immobilizer button a couple of times it resets the sytem and it runs fine for a whilke then stalls again. I have bypassed the system running a wire from the battery to the coil and it runs fine. My local dealer got what's called a modified spider wiring loom and said to put it in myself. The problem is I have no idea what I'm looking for, the loom that I'm supposed to locate is behind the radio. Can anyone give me some tips on replacing this loom, like where is it and how to do it. Much appreciated in advance.
Cheers,
Johnsy.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:03 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 99 D1 V8 Engine Immobilizer problems

OK here's the wrap... unless you want to spend two days taking the dash out and putting it back in this is what you do. Disconnect your battery. take out the radio. reach in and below the radio mount close to the temp controlers is a little black box (electrical connector) mounted to the dash. rip it off, yes I said rip it off the mount! Otherwise spend two days pulling the whole dash off to get to it. wiggle the plug into a position you can reach it (long nose pliers) and disconnect the old plug from the black box and replace with new spider wiring. Place all in neat tidy pile near original location away from anything that may damage it when putting back the radio, reconnect battery, pin code for radio, re-set clock, Bob's your uncle. Where's Disco Mike? Didn't you know this one?
PS It is a mungrel to get to so a spare pair of small hands and maybe a detist mirror is helpful.
Cheers,
Johnsy.
PPSS Oh...and did it fix the problem? You bet :-)