General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing CAN BUS hacking on late model RR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

13 miles.. You're killing me!
Absolutely Beautiful Resto!!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
keyless entry works by pressing the button and having it in your pocket. its designed to keep people out when necessary.
I have two other cars that -didn't- cost $125,000.00 that are smart enough to unlock when I walk up, never requiring me to find my keys or take them out of my pocket.

If I can do that in software, why wouldn't I want to? I could (and would) require the presence of the key itself, or the Bluetooth MAC ID of my phone, and only unlock if its been at least a few minutes since the vehicle was manually locked.

I don't think I need to defend any of this on the basis of utility or practicality, it's just a project to familiarize myself with the CAN bus and keep it interesting with some kind of tangible goal. That seems to offend quite a bit here.

So, back to the original question - if you have experience with the Medium Speed CAN bus please chime in. If you think I'm evil for daring to ask such a heretical question, try to hold it in.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

i don't have any experience at this but would love to watch as you rewrite and of the software. i only have little experience in c++

Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by planetfejj
i don't have any experience at this but would love to watch as you rewrite and of the software. i only have little experience in c++
I'm not even sure I'll be able to read the flash out of the ECM. There are CAN services to read memory, but you have to break the challenge/response seed/key. Even then there could be multiple layers of security, and even then it might just not support CAN READ MEMORY to get the flash out.

Even if I could, it's a Hitachi microcontroller that I'm sure not I have a disassembler for. And all that said, I'm not in a hurry to make a mistake and blow up my rather expensive engine. The last one I did was the Chevrolet LT1, and that was a much simpler CPU (that you could de-socket the memory for and read out manually if you wanted).

So, my main focus is on the inter-module bus traffic. There are about 60+ modules (cameras, climate control, audio, etc) and I'd like to understand some of the traffic.

What can you do with it? Like I said earlier, you could build a circuit to send the "door unlock" command when the RFID of the key comes in range. Depends, however, if the key and car communicate in any way -before- you push any buttons. There's a good chance they might not.

I might start small... maybe daytime running lights by turning on the fog lights when you place it in drive, that sort of thing. It's all about the journey, not the destination.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
I used to ride the carousel in that building circa 1984

Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes and you are still in diapers..lol

I have two other cars that -didn't- cost $125,000.00 that are smart enough to unlock when I walk up, never requiring me to find my keys or take them out of my pocket.
I still don't get why this 2010 autobiogrphy Rover does not have passive entry.
As it is an optional fitment I didn't think that any NAS vehicle was delivered without it.. It could either not be installed as an option, not an NAS spec vehicle, not a 2010, or it just does not work.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Plummer
I'm not even sure I'll be able to read the flash out of the ECM. There are CAN services to read memory, but you have to break the challenge/response seed/key. Even then there could be multiple layers of security, and even then it might just not support CAN READ MEMORY to get the flash out.

Even if I could, it's a Hitachi microcontroller that I'm sure not I have a disassembler for. And all that said, I'm not in a hurry to make a mistake and blow up my rather expensive engine. The last one I did was the Chevrolet LT1, and that was a much simpler CPU (that you could de-socket the memory for and read out manually if you wanted).

So, my main focus is on the inter-module bus traffic. There are about 60+ modules (cameras, climate control, audio, etc) and I'd like to understand some of the traffic.

What can you do with it? Like I said earlier, you could build a circuit to send the "door unlock" command when the RFID of the key comes in range. Depends, however, if the key and car communicate in any way -before- you push any buttons. There's a good chance they might not.

I might start small... maybe daytime running lights by turning on the fog lights when you place it in drive, that sort of thing. It's all about the journey, not the destination.

You could get an aftermarket RF key card system. Wire it into the drivers door latch so it sends a signal to lock/unlock.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

I'll play because this can get interesting

I have one car were the key never leaves either my pocket or my wife's.

If I can do that in software, why wouldn't I want to? I could (and would) require the presence of the key itself, or the Bluetooth MAC ID of my phone, and only unlock if its been at least a few minutes since the vehicle was manually locked.
I think you are jumping too fast ahead. Do you understand the locking and unlocking procedure of these said vehicles. Its more that just an RFID car at work. Its rolling codes between multiple control units to keep the vehicle in your control. I know for a fact with Mercedes, its multiple rolling codes between the key, the ignition switch, 3 antennas, the rear SAM, the front SAM and engine CAN, which is CAN HI.

I don't think I need to defend any of this on the basis of utility or practicality, it's just a project to familiarize myself with the CAN bus and keep it interesting with some kind of tangible goal. That seems to offend quite a bit here.
Agreed. You definately don't need to defend anything you do. Its a free country (relatively). You can do anything you want. But you also need to realize that these guys have the same freedom to advise you that you are going down a road that is best left alone.
My two cents to you is if you want options, then have it programmed at the people who can do it correctly. Why mess with the systems in your vehicle that one incorrect line of code can render your vehicle a $125,000 paper weight that when you need it to be fixed, you'll need about 20k in control units. NB not actual figures

So, back to the original question - if you have experience with the Medium Speed CAN bus please chime in. If you think I'm evil for daring to ask such a heretical question, try to hold it in.
What do you want to know.?