General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have expertise with headliner refurbishment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
I can relate to having conversations with myself so thought I'd give you some words of encouragement

Looks good, I'm impressed - and great idea with the Bondo. I haven't been brave enough to take my headliner off yet but it's on the list. What are you going to reupholster it with? Are you repadding it? I was thinking of just painting mine but am thinking that the padding may act as a sound barrier? Realize that you're trying to restore to original appearance...

I look forward to following your thread.
KernowDiscovery: thanks for the response and I appreciate you chiming in here. I am intending to try to use the same material as Factory by purchasing true headliner fabric from a local automotive upholstery shop. That type of material has like an 1/8" foam backing on it. Looks like it's going to cost about $60 for the fabric and $20 or so for the Adhesive Spray. I will continue this thread and post more pix for sure.

SMD

Old 03-31-2014, 05:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 57loboy
When you recover it, be sure to check that your material for the sunroof panel isn't too thick otherwise it can bind or bunch up when you slide the shade back to expose the glass. Used to be that there were two thicknesses for the headliner material and the thicker wouldn't work on sun shades... I know from experience.
57loboy: this will be the 2nd RRC that I've done a headliner job on and when I did the 1st one back in like 1998, I used two thicknesses of material - the thinner on the sunroof cover - like you said, the thick, headliner fabric will make it difficult to open and close the cover. Thanks for the feedback!

SMD

Old 03-31-2014, 05:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
On sites like this one where poorly fed code monkeys simply felt writing proper code wasn't worth the effort, I simply upload photos to Flickr and the load them here. It isn't as much a problem with Apple as it is with lazy code writers developing crappy websites. The way the entire process for loading photos on this site is, it's like stepping back ten years in time.
Paul - I use "imgur" and it works pretty well - when I am uploading pix with a PC versus a MAC. I get frustrated with the MAC since it's so totally different to do the pic upload. I have heard that Flickr is very good.

I agree with your comments that picture uploading application on this and many Forum sites could be so much better and easier.

Thanks for the feedback.

SMD

Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Drifting

I redid mine on my 99 p38, wasn't too hard. Took 2 of us to spray the glue - 3M Spray 77 worked best. Hardest part was finding fabric. Most comes in 53 in widths, and you need 55 in. Keep looking!