General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is best

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 05:08 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is best

I am planning to buy a used Range Rover. I am looking in the range of 1997 - 2001. What are some pros and cons with each year? Which is the best buy?

Needing advice...

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Overlanding
Default RE: Which is best

A used Range Rover with low mileage is the way to go. Finding one for a reasonable price is hard to do. I know the classic Range Rovers sell cheap. No matter what year you chose remember parts are hard to find. They are not available in the local super auto part stores. Depending on where you live the closest auto part store could be many miles away. Finding a mechanic who can fix it is another story. The ones you like tend to be very expensive. For that kind of money you could buy a new truck from the big three. I would go for the Dodge SLT with the Hemi engine but that is me. I recently purchased my first Land Rover. I have own it now for 6 days. I am still in the process of restoring it. Parts are expensive and hard to find. When you do find an auto part store that sells the parts getting the right part can be a pain in the butt. I was asked if the tie rod my truck needed was threaded to the right or left. Apparently Land Rover did it both ways. The store was 10 miles away from my home. I live in Chicago. Luckily for me I own a 1978 Jeep Renegade, which is good on gas. You should have seen their part's book on the Range Rover. It was misleading. My steering wasn't in their book. I felt like I was buying in the blind. Another headache with these cars is the fact most stores that carry these parts consider these parts as special order parts. This means they won't take them back if you get the wrong one or it doesn't work.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Which is best

first and the most important thing in buying any rover is the records. If they don't have them or did not keep it up to par, stay away. big red flag. I bad rover is worse than a 24/7 hang over on bad booze. parts are another problem, they are not cheap and are not easy to find. Mechanic is another. Dealers are expensive, and good non dealer mech are few and far between. The average mech is going to have difficulty with it other than minor part replacement. If you get one, find out if you can get a warrenty on the vehicle. if you can buy it. One reality moderate problem and it will pay for its self. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff.