General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap lift for a p38?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cheap lift for a p38?

I have a 1999 p38 with the 4.0 Bosch engine. I use this truck to play offroad only. It does not see pavement. I want to lift the truck as much as possible for the least possible. I am considering using a block lift between the leafs and axles with the longer U-Bolts. My question is: How far can I go up with out having to start buying longer parts? Also I'm open to any other ideas as far as cheap lifts go, but keep in mind this is super budget because this basically a throw away truck, so please spare me the "Just buy a Terrafirma lift." argument.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

There are no leafs.

Also you don't mention wether you have air or coil suspension.

Either way, the cheapest would be spacers at the top or bottom of the coils/air bags.

2" is normally the most you should go without changing things.

But, You should just buy a terrafirma lift...

Old 12-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Rock Crawling

No leafs? Good to know, haha! I havent been under this truck yet, I was just looking on a 4x4 website and saw a leaf block kit for this truck. I guess their catalog is wrong. It has the coil spring conversion kit done to it but I'm pretty sure it is just stock height. I have a set of 265/75-16 tires on it and they rub when its flexed out. Id like to get 6 inches of lift. Other than brake lines what else will have to be longer inorder to get 6 inches by use of spring spacers?

Old 12-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

I understand the desire for 6". Trust me, I do. That said, these trucks just go so well that more than 3" is pretty much overkill. To go over 3 you'd need longer brake lines, longer abs sensor lines, castor corrected radius arms, longer multiple double cardon driveshaft in the front, longer double cardon driveshaft in the rear with a u-joint conversion, some super long shocks that nobody specifically makes, and lift springs PLUS spacers. Very very expensive. Alternatively, you can call Lucky 8 and get their 3 inch kit which is just shocks and springs and it cost something like $600 said and done. At least, that's the case with our D2s. Not 100% about the P38, but I think they're pretty similar.

Last edited by Alex_M; 12-12-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Driveshaft extensions at a minimum, but others who have gone past 2" will have to chime in.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might be able to get more specific advice at the Range Rover subforum.

Range Rover - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Old 12-13-2015, 07:20 AM
Rock Crawling

I figured one of the mods would move this thread over to the RR sub forum pretty quick. I just wanted to see what ideas my Disco buds had to offer first. Aftermarket offroad accessories for p38's are few nd far between. Plus what you can find is over priced. I'm about to start a custom front winch bumper project starting with a REESE towing package I have found at walmart mounted upside down and backwards as the bones of it. Instead of dropping down, it shoud come off the front frame rails and rise up in front of the grill, providing a nice stout little platform for a winch to mount on AND, a nice receiver hitch slot I can slide a nice recovery hook in! What do y'all think about this idea?

Last edited by kfx4001442; 12-13-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

I think that's a really neat idea, sounds similar to what I was planning with an extra stock hitch I had and a Harbor freight universal winch tray. Bring us back some pictures when you're done!

Old 12-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

When I had my 97 Range Rover Vitesse 4.6L HSE in AA Yellow, I lifted it 2 inches and it cost me absolutely nothing!!! I still had the EAS system (which works flawlessly until you don't replace worn air bags & the pump dies...). All I did was simply get the EAS calibrated and during the process we added 2inch blocks to the calibration and BINGO 2inch lift for free. Besides that a coil spring conversion kit is next in line, but it cost $$$.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kfx4001442
I figured one of the mods would move this thread over to the RR sub forum pretty quick. I just wanted to see what ideas my Disco buds had to offer first. Aftermarket offroad accessories for p38's are few nd far between. Plus what you can find is over priced. I'm about to start a custom front winch bumper project starting with a REESE towing package I have found at walmart mounted upside down and backwards as the bones of it. Instead of dropping down, it shoud come off the front frame rails and rise up in front of the grill, providing a nice stout little platform for a winch to mount on AND, a nice receiver hitch slot I can slide a nice recovery hook in! What do y'all think about this idea?

That's cool, man. I wasn't trying to chase you off, I just wasn't sure you posted here on purpose.

That is a really cool idea for a winch mount. I guess the aftermarket guys assume Defenders and Discos get offroaded and Range Rovers go to the mall?

Quick Reply: Cheap lift for a p38?