General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise controlight doesn't light.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise controlight doesn't light.

Hello,
I have a 1997 HSE and the cruise isn't working. I took a look at the hoses and found a crack in one. I replaced it but it didn't make a difference. I noticed that the indicator light doesn't come on when the switch is pressed. I thought I would look at the fuse but I am unable to find it. I looked in the owners manual but couldn't find the location of the CC fuse. I am I just blind or looking in the wrong place? Where can I find that fuse? Also, could this be the result of a bad ECU?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

does the switch illumination, green glow, work when the lights are turned on?

Old 08-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt its a bad ECU, it might possibly be the cruise control computer, or the inverter. Do you hear a click at all when you try to engage it? Are you referring to the light in the cruise control button? Have you checked both fuse boxes? There is one in the engine compartment and one under the front passenger seat. I do not know what the relay number is off the top of my head but, just look for any that are blown. If there are no blown fuses and no click when trying to engage the cruise control, I would replace the inverter first as it is relatively cheap. It could also be the cruise control button itself. You might want to take it out and test its functionality.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Rock Crawling

No, the switch doesn't iluminate green when the lights are on or amber when the switch is pushed. I hadn't thought about the switch being bad. I don't hear a click when I try to engage it but if you ask my wife she'll tell you I'm pretty deaf (selective hearing maybe?) I still can't locate the fuse. I even had somebody else look at the fuse diagrams in owners manual and there doesn't seem to be a listing for it. I read another post where somebody mentioned a very detailed and thorough cruise control diagnosis procedure. I have done a search but couldn't find it. Could somebody please steer me in the right direction?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Pro Wrench

pop out the switch and see if its plugged in, and if all the wires are all the way in... if thats all good youre looking at a switch or the ground for the switch(behind the rh lower a-pillar)

Old 08-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, I'll take a look at the switch and ground. I was able to find a switch on ebay for $3.50 so I bought it just to give it a try.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Well I just got my copy of RAVE (love it) and decided to tear into this thing. I went through the electrical diagnosis and found that it appears to be the BECM. Is this a common fault? Obviously I don't need CC bad enough to shell our $600 to repair it so it might just have to stay this way.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Pro Wrench

why are you thinking becm

Old 08-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt that is the cause... If it were the BECM it would be doing other things, especially with the alarm system, i.e. locking you out, refusing to start, draining your battery etc. Before swapping out 600 dollar components, try doing the smaller stuff, like the inverter for the cruise control, or the switch (which I am assuming you have swapped out already). There is a chance that a connection is loose or that the cruise control computer has failed. In either case, I wouldn't go replace the BECM over a cruise control issue.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by LRScott
I doubt that is the cause... If it were the BECM it would be doing other things, especially with the alarm system, i.e. locking you out, refusing to start, draining your battery etc. Before swapping out 600 dollar components, try doing the smaller stuff, like the inverter for the cruise control, or the switch (which I am assuming you have swapped out already). There is a chance that a connection is loose or that the cruise control computer has failed. In either case, I wouldn't go replace the BECM over a cruise control issue.
I had no intention of replacing the BECM, I was just going to live without it. The first thing I did was replace a couple hoses because I found they were bad, it now holds a vacuum. Then I replaced the switch because it was easy and cheap (the old on ended up testing good.) I went through the RAVE electronics diagnosis for the cruise control and tested the various switches and such. I went though the first 5 or 6 tests and everything passed with the correct voltages. Then I came across one that told me that I should have 5 volts at a certain terminal and I had none. The cause of the problem they said is either the Yellow wire or the BECM. I have not tested the yellow wire yet but I assume it must be the one that connects to the BECM. If I can find the other end of that wire I will check it for continuity (does anybody know which terminal it goes to so that I can test it?)

I may keep my eyes open for a cheap CC ECU and the inverter and see what they do. If it turns out the be the BECM I will just be SOL.