General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco to Rover, I just came over...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disco to Rover, I just came over...

Well after 3 plus years of Disco II Mania I just sold my 99 that I used to pull the boat around and for general driving. Nothing too heavy as 4 wheeling or cliff type adventures. It had 218 on it. Bought it for $2500 and sold it for $2300 so I cant complain. I did learn quite a bit and did all my own repairs such as replaced the tranny and transfer case ( what fun but found them dirt cheap) , replaced the entire sound system, output bearing shaft seals, rebuilt the locks and fixed all the switches, master cylinder and various other fun projects like rebuild the abs shuttle valves. Ran great when I sold her but the paint was fading bad, the tires were about done and the airbags where leaking.
I just snapped and bought a 2002 RR 4.6 knowing only what I knew about the Disco. Some Kid had it on Craigs and it is beat up mechanically to say the least. The body is excellent (paint like new) as well as the interior with no major degrading of the leather. Right in my bargain price range of $1900 ( thousand less than asking). I'll be trolling these pages as I plan on restoring to the best of my ability's and hopefully back to some state of previous Glory

First order of business is changing out all the o2.s and maf as I pulled all those related codes prior to buying it. Stinks like burnt fuel so I'm hoping its just bad maintenance and the use of non-premium gas.

Next up is the abs, traction lights. 3 amigos on the Disco what are they referred to on the P38? Just found a great thread about the accumulator so its off to explore this beast.
Any and all comments, thoughts or insight I will find highly valuable!

Oh and someone did the airbag conversion to coils so I guess you live with the dash and cluster lights on ??? Rather have the airbag system as it was easy to work on in the Disco and was a great feature for towing. . Also it's all over the Road so not sure what to attack first in the suspension.

Last edited by parkerlander; 08-15-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:02 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can shut off the airbags light, the AB kit comes with a by-pass there is a bypass on ebay for like $25 now. with the 2002 you will have all the same issue as the disco (bosche system). but so much more car than a Disco.

Last edited by drowssap; 08-18-2015 at 11:03 AM.