General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EAS -> Spring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EAS -> Spring question

So, I'm thinking of swapping over the EAS to a spring setup. I'm looking at the options, and I'm liking the 3" over stock one. My question is, is that 3" higher than the standard height, the access height, the raised height, etc?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Atlantic British they have a FAQ section, if its not there they will help you via email.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know the definative answer to that one, especially since you do not say who makes the spring. As a general it would be 3" over the standard height which would be approximately 1" taller than offroad height.

If you are going that way then I would plan on buying some new tires to fill the big opening.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Rock Crawling

You may also have to purchase new shocks as the OEM ones may not accommodate the height difference. Just something to verify before you go ahead with the 3".

In case you haven't already considered it... ride quality will be decreased with the 3" lift.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ldivine
You may also have to purchase new shocks as the OEM ones may not accommodate the height difference. Just something to verify before you go ahead with the 3".

In case you haven't already considered it... ride quality will be decreased with the 3" lift.
Ride quality doesn't bother me, especially the very small difference 1" will make. As for shocks, I'll probably go with something like the Rancho 9500 series.

And as for tires, I've already got 32" on the truck so I'll probably just go with the extra 1/2" to the 33" tires.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, lets try a year and model?
Second, why get rid of the EAS?
Not knowing what you are driving, but why a 3" lift, are you ready for all the extra stuff to change?
What ever you do, do not buy a set of Ranchos, they are they worst piece of crap you can throw on any Rover.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First, lets try a year and model?
Second, why get rid of the EAS?
Not knowing what you are driving, but why a 3" lift, are you ready for all the extra stuff to change?
What ever you do, do not buy a set of Ranchos, they are they worst piece of crap you can throw on any Rover.
No kidding Mike, what on earth posseses people to even consider such a set up is completely beyond my comprehension but when you factor in a statement such as "ride quality doesn't bother me" I guess we have the answer. Short of rock climbing, there is little that a standard RR suspension system can't handle, why bastardise the original setup with a crappy set of springs and shocks ?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

most people change to spring due to dealers wanting a fortune to repair the aging system. at the very least go with something like a MARS until you can correct the real issue, a leak.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I guess that is a question too. Is the EAS broken or do you just want to do something different since you are concerned about failure out on the trail?

I have seen some others do an extended level sensor arm that gives you an extra 2" of lift when you need it, it is being called super extended off road mode or something like that.

I love the EAS and I know they can be expensive but if you are willing to wrench then it is not that bad.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Drifting

The truck is a 98 RR HSE 4.6

Switching to spring because I finally started having issues with the front left air bag, and I think my compressor is starting to show it's age as well. I'd love to keep the EAS setup, but I'd also like to go a little bigger. If I could find an aftermarket air bag that would give me another inch or two, I'd be happy with that.

And the reason I was thinking of Ranchos is because I used them on my S10 build and liked them, I'm really open to any shock suggestions if I go that route though.

Quick Reply: EAS -> Spring question