General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EAS -> Spring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean about wanting to be a little bigger. I know there are some spacers for the D2 that some companies make so I guess it is possible. I am not sure if there is anything made for the P38 since the aftermarket is not very supportive of it.

Replacement bags are fairly inexpensive, I am replacing my rear and found Arnott on ebay for the Gen II bags for about $240. You can find the compressor for a lot less or even use the rebuild kit for it.

If you are clever then try to make some spacers yourself.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you consider that the cost of converting to coils is very close to that of overhauling your eas system I really don't see much point unless you are;

A, planning a serious off road rig or;
B, Mechanically disinclined and go to the stearlership for repairs.

If A is your aim then go for it but unless you lack both thumbs and some pretty basic hand tools there really is no need to take option B,make the dealers day and spend hundreds (if not thousands) of $$$$ on a bunch of parts that just require a little TLC and patience from time to time.
It's a real shame that these cars get the rap that they do especially over EAS issues. A lot of folks gripe and moan about the outrageous cost of say replacing a valve block at the dealer and quite rightly so. At around $1200 + labour this is bloody expensive but you can buy a repair kit for under $15.00 !! Spend a little time reading up on the how to and you can repair your own block on the dining room table in less time than it would have taken you to drive to the shop. It is only a bunch of O-Rings that are the usual culprit.
Another big bugaboo are the air bags but with average driving (some off some on road) my original Dunlop bags went over 100K miles before I replaced them at a cost of around $400 and three hours of fairly straightforward effort. Your average Toyota owners probably wouldn't whine about replacing their shock absorbers at this mileage and cost would they ? Now granted, some of the systems on our cars are mightily and unnecessarily complex but we are driving some of the finest vehicles available for absolute bargain prices these days and let's be honest, as the mileage creeps up it's inevitable that components will deteriorate and, (since these cars are made in relatively low numbers )it follows that the parts will be more expensive and harder to find than those of your average shopping cart car but that is a small price to pay for relative exclusivity.
These cars are not the great mystery that some people pretend they are, they aren't some mysterious black art contrivances that require the services of men in white coats wearing stethoscopes and poring over computer monitors they are just a little harder to comprehend to your average owner but EVERY part of these vehicles can be understood through the services of web sites like this and should frankly pose no terrors whatsoever to any one with a functioning brain hemisphere.

Chris.

Last edited by rr95; 07-10-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by handsome rob
i know what you mean about wanting to be a little bigger. i know there are some spacers for the d2 that some companies make so i guess it is possible. I am not sure if there is anything made for the p38 since the aftermarket is not very supportive of it.

Replacement bags are fairly inexpensive, i am replacing my rear and found arnott on ebay for the gen ii bags for about $240. You can find the compressor for a lot less or even use the rebuild kit for it.

If you are clever then try to make some spacers yourself.
lmao

Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got no problem wrenching on my own cars, I've never taken any of my vehicles to the dealership for service. Check the fs threads, you'll see the last car I built for sale in there. I know my way around vehicles. I may keep the EAS still, I mostly just looking at my options. I do want to fit a 33" tire under the truck, I doubt I could do that on the stock EAS setup. Maybe some extended travel air bags, maybe swap to springs. I do not know for sure what I'll do yet.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by rr95
lmao

Yeah I thought about that after I posted it, maybe I should be selling xtenz or whatever that crap is.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Rock Crawling

You might want to look into Arnott's Gen III's. The piston design buys you up to an extra 2-3 inches or so and they're an easy swap from OEM (just need the longer shocks, extend the potentiometers, and recalibrate the EAS settings). Ride quality is noticeably improved (at standard height) too. Something to consider that allows you to keep the EAS system.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Three Wheeling

I also believe that modifications need to be made in the wheel arches to accomodate the larger tyres as well. There is a good write up from a fellow doing just this kind of work at http://www.RangeRovers.net

Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ldivine
You might want to look into Arnott's Gen III's. The piston design buys you up to an extra 2-3 inches or so and they're an easy swap from OEM (just need the longer shocks, extend the potentiometers, and recalibrate the EAS settings). Ride quality is noticeably improved (at standard height) too. Something to consider that allows you to keep the EAS system.
This is what I was looking for, this is most likely the route I will be taking.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Smile

Originally Posted by ldivine
I am looking at doing the Gen IIIs but I can't seem to find what shocks to buy. I can find many people who mention longer shocks but no mention of the part #s for those shocks. Can somebody help me out? Also, what is required to "extend the potentiometers" and what is the purpose of this? My guess it that it increases the amount of travel for the sensor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Rock Crawling

I think, when I considered turning the P38 into an off-road toy and did some research a while back, Bilstein 5150's? work well with the GenIII's.

You need to extend the potentiometers if you fit large tires (32" or 33") as the center of the wheel is higher. Also, depending on the height you want, it can overextend the potentiometer. You can extend them by fitting a different or extending the existing brackets.

If you weren't going to use larger tires you could just reprogram the height values for up to something like 2".

I would research on rangerovers.net forums since a few people there have done the conversion.

Quick Reply: EAS -> Spring question