General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a fair deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a fair deal?

I have been "haggling" for a few days on a 2002 RR HSEwith 74k miles, one owner with service records and inreally good condition. They were asking $17,900 and we are at $15,200 after today, I told the owner I would let him know something by Tuesday.

Is $15,200 too much? It has always been serviced at a RR dealer, and also has been pre-inspected.

My only concern is that on Ebay and afew other sources 2002 models with <90K miles are going for $10-13k. Of coursemost don't have any service history, and are beingsold by wholesellers.

What do you guys think. Also some 2003 RR are going in the low 20's, would you get a 2003 or stay with the 2002.

Thanks,

Old 02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is this a fair deal?

To help you gauge a bit, I bought my 2001 RR 4.6 SE with 81k miles for 12,500. It was posted at 14000, but had a cracked windshield and a scrape out of the right rear quarter. Took it down to 12,500, without killing the seller!

To me 15,200 seems about 1k high, but the HSE did retail a bit higher than the SE..So I don't know. 17,900 is definitely too high IMO, good job haggling

Old 02-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Overlanding

Thanks Wofkpack,

Any regrets on the RR, are you having any of the horror stories about maintence.

It's funny, because all my friends tell me "don't get a RR, they are always in the shop" but none of my friends has ever owned one.....EVER. So it almost turns into this wild urban legend.

I know they are a bit more to maintain, but I simply love the vehicle.

Thanks again for your comparison.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Winching

The only regret I have is letting a shop do my suspension conversion. My EAS failed at 82k miles, and it was a pretty substantial failure. Both rear bags failed, front bags cracked, compressor overheated and was done for..paid $1800 for the conversion. I didn't do enough research on it, and gave the shop the go ahead, then a month later or so, I researched it and found that I very easily could have converted to coils myself, for much less. [:@]

Overall I'm very happy with the Range. The best advice I can give is to look into independent service shops around you. I've got a dealer right down the road from me, and it's always a 2 week wait period for any service, regardless of the severity. Independent shops can do the same work, at better prices.

The only catch is it is an English vehicle, so me being used to Chevys, somethings on the Rover just don't make sense [&:] but you learn! The good thing about these trucks is that the engines and transmissions are very tough, very reliable!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Mudding

1. with 74K you might be able to still get a warranty on it. The cutoff used to be right at 75,000. The warranty option could prove to be valuable, especially if it still has the air suspension.

2. If it is exceptionally clean, well maintained, and everything works (not just doctored up for the kill/sale) that rover could be worth a bit more to you. maybe 1500 more considering the time/hassle/cost of getting it up to mint status.

3. What ever you do if you getting a loan -- make certain what you pay/owe is less than what any insurance company would total the rover out for. A simple call to your car insurance agent to discuss the value, insurable interest, and bottom-line insurable value is a "free" call that tells another story sometimes. Find out if they cover heated windshield replacement. They sometimes want a picture of the new/used truck anyhow.

4. If it's been sitting lately -- reduce the price and get a warranty for the difference. Things go wrong once they start sitting around. Things that worked fine before it was parked and put on the block.

I paid alot like you are considering for my 1993 SWB 11 years ago. It sat around for 6 month at a used car lot while the price dropped $6K I watched it -- then a bunch of things broke because it was sitting (electrical corrosion, computer memory/chips/etc...) and that offset part of the savings. The problem I have now is in letting it go. we just did body repair on it and put a trans in it at 120K -- it's about half as good as a new one now and we know the history of it. My two boys are driving it to school every day and we feel they are safe in this TANK from all the eldery folks driving around half on the bottle or pills.

I spent 6 months in PT from an accident in a small car just before getting the SWB -- my theory was next time I would not spend as much time in PT if I had a Rover in the same accident. The value there is hard to put a $$ on.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Mudding

15,200 with a good 3 year warranty from RR maybe...

Old 02-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the input guys,

I had to pass on this one, the owner now says that Mercedes will give him $17,000 on a trade.......I told him they wern't really giving him that in actual dollars, but he insist they are, so now he wants $17k.........I told him to trade, so the hunt continues.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Winching

That's rough...Mercedes will give him 17k towards a brand new mercedes

I had the same problem. I was trying to get my Range appraised for insurance purposes since I have a few modifications, and I found a bunch of dealers that said we can give you $xxxxx for it if you're looking at a new Chevrolet or a new Land Rover, but value wise it'll be about $5-10k less.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Drifting

rmally ....no way are they giving him $17K in actual dollars ....kbb has an 02' trade in value of $13,285 for a good condition model and that's in zip 37220 (I didn't know where in TN you were so I just picked a zip near Nashville). He was probably hoping you would take his stale bait and good for you that you didn't. Take a gander through autotrader and look and see how many 2002 Range Rovers there are out there for sale ....150 just on autotrader. Give or take 1 year and that number jumps to 792 for sale in the mainland US right now. The supplyseverely outweighs the demand ....you were smart in letting this one go. There are far more RRs out there with you name on them and you could likely find one with lower miles and with more options (like front/rear brush guards, running boards, nav, roof rack, etc.) for the $15K and change you offered this fool. The economy sucks right now so take advantage of people who are down on their luck and need to sell their RR baby to raise some funds. I know that sounds bad but it's the truth. You'll find something soon ....good luck!

Pads Fan