General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gearbox fault- '97 RR SE I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 11:44 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearbox fault- '97 RR SE I need your help

I am either going to shoot myself or this Range Rover. A dealer friend (or so I thought) picked up this RR for me at an auction. It has a multitude of problems, but the most serious one seems to be in the shifting. As I am driving, it goes into freewheeling then reengages. It does this continuously. I'm getting whiplash. Then when I turn it off it indicates "gearbox fault."
Has anyone had a similar experience? I didn't get an owners manual so I don't know what most of the bells and whistles are even there for.
Could this be an electrical problem or something other than the dreaded "bad transmission?"
If anyone can help me I will personally shine your shoes.
I dont know if this is relevent, but it was delivered on a car transport. I suppose the driver had to squash or mash something to get it on the transort. Sorry to be so longwinded about this but I am feeling like a moron for not buying a Chevy.
Thank you to anyone who responds, even if you confirm that I am a big fat idiot.
I live in Tornado alley Iowa. I wish one would come tonight and remove this heap from my life.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: gearbox fault- '97 RR SE I need your help

It is probably the tork converter. Mine froze and stripped out the splines a while back, as for the moron part, only if you did buya Chevy would I make such a statement lol I can send you a pdf of your owners manual too

Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 PM
3rd Gear

I brought my 97 rr at the auction too. Im also getting "gearbox overheat" and dont know what to do. Cronicjoeblunt can you please post the pdf of the owner manual. Thank you

Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pinina, The overheat warning is most likely because the cooler is plugged up and needs to be cleaned out/replaced. I would start with doing a transmission flush and filter change first though.

Lesaroka, It could be a bad torque converter or transmission for that matter... The good news is, used transmissions are not that expensive. I understand your frustration, you think your an idiot? I have 3 of these god forsaken things lol. The RR I have has been extremely reliable the past 3 years I've owned it, I have two discos right now that are a PITA! Trying to tame those beasts...

Hopefully this makes you feel a little better: AUTO TRANSMISSION 4.6 HSE Range Rover 1998 98 128K | eBay

Old 02-07-2012, 05:05 PM
3rd Gear

I need a copy of the owner's manual for my 97 range rover. Please help.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by pinina729
I need a copy of the owner's manual for my 97 range rover. Please help.
Do you want a copy of the owners manual or the repair manual? I have an owners manual for a '97 I would sell for $30 including shipping. It is complete and comes in a pretty green leather binder.

Let me know if you're interested.
Cheers,
Paul

Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Is the overheat light coming on for the transfer case or the transmission? I had an issue with a customer a couple of years ago. It turned out the customer had the heads done on the truck and during installation of the left head, the wire from the sensor was crimped. As the truck warmed up it would case the wire to short and trigger the overheat light to come on. There were no signs of any real issues with the transfer case or transmission. Tracing the wires, the short was discovered, repaired and there was never an issue again.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:49 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
Do you want a copy of the owners manual or the repair manual? I have an owners manual for a '97 I would sell for $30 including shipping. It is complete and comes in a pretty green leather binder.

Let me know if you're interested.
Cheers,
Paul
YES im very interested in buying the owners manual.... Email me pinina729@gmail.com. thank you Paul