General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with heater fan (it's starting to get cold!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with heater fan (it's starting to get cold!)

I've read about the fan switch, the resistor, etc. And from what I can tell, my problem doesn't handily fit into either of these problems (at least what the common symptoms are).

So--pay attention here--A/C fan works correctly on all speeds. On any other setting (using the non-A/C fan) the fan works as followsff is off. Speed 1 is speed 1 but switching to 2 or 3 the fan spins at the same speed as speed 1/does not go faster. If I drive 70+mph the fan will speed up to full speed (speed 3) and remain at that speed even after I have come to a stop. So now it works normally. But if i'm stopped and switch it to 1 and then back to 3 it slows to 1 but will not go back to 3.

Usually--from past experiences with other cars--if the fan motor is bad, it either won't spin at all or it will spin at all speeds once you get it going and will only get jammed up if it comes to a complete stop again. This condition where it spins no problem at speed 1 but won't hit 2 or 3 has me confused. I put in a new/junk yard switch and it works the same and the resistor pack symptoms seem incongruent with this problem.

So, what's the problem here? Bad motor, bad switch (2 of them), or resistor pack?

Old 11-03-2006, 04:48 PM
4wd Low
Default RE: Help with heater fan (it's starting to get cold!)

This is gonna sound silly, but heck the grounds at the bulkhead. I can't remember for sure, but I think the right side blower has two. On right at the rt kick panel, and another at the IPAC connector towards the center of the dash.

The symptom is low voltage. One more thing. Did you have a heater core leak lately? (at the orings)

Old 11-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Help with heater fan (it's starting to get cold!)

I've been working on cars long enough to never discount anything as being silly. I'll check the grounds. This thing is pretty rusty, so..... No heater core though.