General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what's happening to Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Look what's happening to Range Rover

"Range Rover" badging is now appearing on the LRX prototypes and artwork:
Now called "Evoque", it will debut at the Paris Auto Show this fall, and should be available in the US later next year. No driveline has been specified yet, but it will be front wheel drive with the option of all wheel. Figure also on a small engine such as a 4 or 6. Land Rover badging is also not seen on this model, and may already be disappearing on all Range Rovers.

Jaguar-Land Rover is sensitive to environmental concerns, and a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle is required for their image. There are no attempts to make it a serious off roader as they did with the LR2. So far land Rover has not had much success with small models in the US: we'll see how well this one goes over as a Range Rover. To this day much of the American public still can't equate Range Rover with Land Rover, so why fight it?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To this day much of the American public still can't equate Range Rover with Land Rover, so why fight it?
That is how you can tell if someone has a genuine interest in rovers... LR is starting to tick me off now. I can understand the need for fuel efficiency, but not being concerned about offroading which has set them apart from other marks for years...doesn't make sense to me. Their concept(s) do not have any class either, they look like every other manufacturer falling for fads that will go out in a couple years and do not compliment the prior designs. I guess say TATA to LR and Jag sadly.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reasoning I can come up with for this is they want a model to appeal to more buyers to become a "volume" leader and produce revenue, hopefully to help the brand make money and pour it into R&D on the higher end models. This is what Jag tried with the X type (and failed, but I still love mine). Jeep does similar things by offering the lower end commuter type Jeeps (Patriot, Compass) to keep the pot full to produce Rubicons.

It is unpleasant for the LR off road enthusiast but it might be a necessary evil these days when many of the Rovers don't see anything more off-road than a bumpy mall parking lot.