General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky 8’s Project P38

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Looking good Justin, could have used those at ROTR lol.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Looking good Justin, could have used those at ROTR lol.
I know I know ......

Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Winching

Project update

We got a tremendous amount of things accomplished this week. A fender flare was installed, the stock exhaust has been reworked to be more off-road friendly and the transfer case has been locked. Yes you read correctly Locked with a capital L!

The front fender on the driver side was getting the most abuse from the 33in tires so we started there. The grinder made quick work of the little trimming needed on the aluminum fender.

Name:  photo-4-5_zpse29889e2.jpg
Views: 3127
Size:  97.7 KB

With a little bit of adjustment to the cutouts around the body lines the flares fit the P38 fairly easy.

Name:  photo-7-6_zps29b0c384.jpg
Views: 3389
Size:  105.4 KB

The D2 flares were not quite big enough to house the Nittos. We needed to stretch them another inch or so at the bottom. To do this we took a heat gun and massaged the lower corner a little bit to extend the flare out.

Name:  photo-6-6_zpse53e304d.jpg
Views: 3216
Size:  103.8 KB

We are all happy with the end results even know these flares were not intended for the P38. They gave us the added room we needed to fit the larger tires and now all we have to do is trim back the sliders.

Name:  photo-8-5_zpsc70b1c03.jpg
Views: 4155
Size:  110.1 KB

I know what you're saying all this could be avoided if we just would've stuck with 32in tires but it would not be a true Lucky8 truck unless it was on at least 33's

Exhaust and Tcase updates to follow

Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

I'm really curious to see how you got the TC locked on that Borg Warner, probably a few P38 owners dying for that info.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm really curious to see how you got the TC locked on that Borg Warner, probably a few P38 owners dying for that info.
i dont know anyone else that owns a p38 except justin and rick. i think goose had one at some point but i believe it was confiscated after he got caught drag racing congressman around the beltway

Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

There are a few of them out there that get wheeled. Not as many obviously as the RRC or Disco crowd. I think though with some of the things Justin has sorted out you might see more of them popping up. Especially if the solutions to the issues to make it a good wheeler aren't super expensive.

Let's be honest a lot of the RRC/D1 are getting long in the tooth and people are going to be looking for the next Rover to replace it. No one thought that the DII would become a rig of choice either a few years back and look at it now.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't get a chance to measure it yet, in the shop I should have it back tomorrow or Wed. I'll measure it then. Also are those RRS wheels on the unmodified version of you rig? Do you need hub centric rings to run those?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not sure why mre people don't use the P38 for wheeling. They are almost perfect for it. The wheelbase works well, fro mid 99 on the brakes and traction control are amazing, and the air suspension (yes,I'm an EAS proponent) makes for a sweet ride off road. They score a 600 on the ramp in stock form with the swaybars hooked up. The later models also have the 4 pin front diff which helps keep it going as well. When lifted, they can still easily fit in a garage (unlike a Discovery). The Bosch 4.6 in them seems to be a better motor than the ones stuck in the D2. Yes, they have some crazy electrical quirks but they all can be fixed with a little effort and it's to be expected. They are British after all. Pricewise, many are practically being given away at this point simply because paying someone to fix all of the issues they develop using new parts can be crippling, but I found with mine that most issues could be repaired pretty easily and relatively inexpensively with a little search of the various forums.

Plus there's something satisfying about thrashing a vehicle off road that had a $60k plus sticker price when it was new 15 years ago.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Winching

Its not that sexy, but it's the first go.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by skyguy
I didn't get a chance to measure it yet, in the shop I should have it back tomorrow or Wed. I'll measure it then. Also are those RRS wheels on the unmodified version of you rig? Do you need hub centric rings to run those?
Thank you.

They are RRS wheels without any rings.

Quick Reply: Lucky 8’s Project P38