General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May be buying a range rover

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the '01 for $7k sounds about right for the year and mileage IF everything checks out and it is running/driving 100%.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Overlanding

Yeah, I just found out it was sold. I'm seriously so disappointed right now, you have no idea. It had exactly everything I wanted. Just found one for $7995 with 77k miles, it has the black interior which is okay I guess but I really wanted the light tan interior. Hopefully it's still available, and hopefully they are willing to go lower in price. Who knows, maybe the other one wasn't meant to be. I'm still searching.........

Old 10-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Mudding

Rather than start a new thread, this one seems appropriate.

Looking at a 1996 Range Rover with the 4.0. 142k miles. The owner has replaced the air suspension with a Bilstein kit, has new cat converters and a muffler. I spent about 15 minutes under the thing on a creeper and there is very little rust, which is surprising. None on the body panels or floor. Just surface rust on some components.

The bad: passenger side blower motor doesn't work, drivers side still has air. Keyless entry is a little bonkers. Minor oil leak. Nothing major.

Overall the vehicle has been well taken care of and is very clean in and out. Upon test drive I found no dynamic problems. It actually handles better than my lifted Jeep ZJ. The state inspection runs out this month, the seller indicated he will get it inspected prior to the sale, which is a nice bonus. The guy seems to love the car and did much of the work himself and seems like he would rather not part with it if he didn't have to.

The vehicle will be mostly a winter driver so we can park a new Saab in the garage. Maybe 3 to 4k a year in miles. Tires have plenty of life and the brakes have a few years left.

I'm a pretty experienced mechanic and do most of my own work on cars, including Jaguars, Saabs, and Jeeps. The RR looks to be a reliable vehicle save for some minor issues that I would take care of in house.

The price is $4000. I find it to be fair. Any opinions would be welcome.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like it might be a nice truck. Too bad it doesn't have the air suspension. Maintenance is key in RR's, if they aren't taken care of they get expensive really quick. The price is probably a touch high based on the year, mileage, not having EAS, and the other minor issues. I know the book value is higher but these typically go way under book. Where in Pittsburgh are you located? I live in Bethel Park.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like it could be a good buy. Of course the seller is expecting to a little lower on the price to start there but if the only bigger problem is the blower motor then that can be fixed or lived with. The Rover will leak and that is normal, now where the leak is can be another story. With the coils you have already beat some of the issues.

The RR is a great vehicle and will require maintenance and some money now and then, but for the cost and the amount of luxury you get you cannot beat it.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the replies guys. I was going to haggle a bit on the price as I thought it might be a touch high with that many miles on it as well, until he said that he would pay for and get the vehicle inspected and pay for anything it needs to pass, which I don't think would be anything really. But just doing that in PA is about $75 or more with emissions, so he's saving me a little cost right up front.

He said he was going to ask $4500 but recognized the blower motor and keyless entry problems so dropped it to $4000. Frankly I don't know if he would budge much below that.

krazzz I'm in the North Hills. I saw a 97 with 97k mi on it for sale last week in the burgh' but it was gone before I could even look at it.

Honestly I'd rather not have the air suspension. I've had several cars with air susp. in the past and always had problems with the system. In this case, to me, simple is better as far as the susp. goes.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Rock Crawling

When I bought mine the air bags were starting to go so I did a complete system rebuild with new bags (Gen IIIs) shocks, air lines, valve block o-rings, compressor rebuild, desiccant renewal, basically anything and everything. The only think I didn't mess with is the sensors but I bought some used ones on ebay to have around as spares. I figure I should be good for another 10 years.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Mudding

Interesting - sounds like a lot of work krazzz. If I end up getting the vehicle, at some point I might reconsider the airbags if I decide to turn it into an off road oriented machine. For now it would be my wife's winter driver, since she hates driving my Jeep ZJ (the 4" lift and 33's makes the handling, ahem....interesting )

Anyway, If i do get the truck, maybe we can meet up sometime. I'm sure you could give me some pointers from your ownership perspective. I have some friends in Mt. Lebo, so I'm in the south hills occasionally.

Regards,
Chris

Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Rock Crawling

I am trying to find an active off-roading group around here but so far haven't found any. I'd be happy to meet up anytime.