General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Water in the spare tire storage

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:42 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Water in the spare tire storage

I'm hoping someone out there has a clue to this problem. I have a 95 Land Rover that I bought a little over a year ago. I opened up the spare tire storage compartment a month or so ago and found it to have several inches of water in it. I searched for holes and such, didn't see any and then pried open a small access hole cover located by the pedestal that the spare tire sits on to let the water out.
Case Closed......... I opened the tire storage area again yesterday and found it again with several inches of water in it. I haven't gone off road, haven't traveled through high water, nothing of that type. I live in Houston and we have a lot of humidity here, but find it hard to believe that this would be condensation from running the ac. I noticed evidence of water further up in the frame openings leading to the bumper. Has anyone ever had water come through the bumper into this area? I am about stumped. Close inspection revealed rust around the tire pedestal and other places in the storage area indicating this has been a long term problem. I would like to solve this one for good and forget about it..... Any help?

Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Mystery Water in the spare tire storage

I have the same problem, 99 range rover, unknown were-abouts.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Can't tell you where the water many be coming from but would suggest you leat it dry ou, repair the drain system and at some point, when dry with no spare in the compartment, I would run a hose over the out side of the truck to trak down the water leak.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Overlanding

My 99 4.0 RR came with the same problem of several inches of water in the spare tire compartment. I opened a small rubber hole plug and let the water drain out. I haven't had any problem with water collecting in the spare tire compartment since I didn't replace the plug. I figure it is there to keep water from entering when driving through rivers and streams which I haven't done lately. However, it also rusted the hydraulic jack and I had to get out the rust disolver and free up the jack so that it would be working in case I needed it. When I bought a spare jack on eBay to use around my garage it came with the same problem of being rusted and I had to get out the rust disolver again. This may be a common problem that few people are aware of because they haven't had a flat tire lately. Have you checked YOUR hydraulic jack?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Mudding

The water is coming from the rear seal, the upper and lower gates need to be adjusted properly first, then the seal should be inspected ,if its flat or folded get a new one now, also the newer style seal has two small slits located under the plastic gap cover, the slits let water drain out to the ground, one other leak area is the upper hatch glass that can simply be sealed without removing the glass. water test the area (slow running water not a jet) have a friend do the water while your in the rear of the car ,with as much trim as possible removed so you can see where its entering. in some cases you might have to bend the body where the seal is installed to get a correct seal. water leaks take time tofigure out. Have Fun !