General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy

I'm a new member and new owner of a 2006 RR Sport SC and live in the midwest. Car has summer tires which are fine if you live in California. Here is Chicago the snow is down and the rover is in the garage. Does anyone know of a good all season that can handle snow or does anyone swap out winter and summer tires by season? Someone suggested an 18" set of dedicated winter tires but I don't know what tire size then would be "correct" and if there are any related clearance issues. (been through this with another car already). Any help and advice would be greatly apprecitated.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run winter and summer tires, but I get a lot of snow so I go with studded from Nov-March or so.

Go wiht a good all terrain for winter if you get some snow and ice IMHO.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 AM
7th Gear
Default new guy

Here it is THANK YOU Ein You autta be paid for this stuff Its great work V

Old 12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
4wd Low
Default tires

Okay, so I went ahead and ordered a set of Vredstein Wintrac 4 Extreme winter tires and will put them on the existing rims. Still looking for a "second" set of wheels that are 20x9.5 a 5/120 bolt pattern with the 57mm off set which appears necessary for the SC brembo's to clear. Does anyone have any ideas of providers for these wheels? They don't have to look good for the winters, just not made of cheap materials sourced from China or who knows where......

Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see sets coming up on Craigslist now and then but there are always sets on ebay. Finding the offset you need will be tough, the only other one that will come close will be from a BMW.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
4wd Low
Default wheels

The wheel choice is now narrowed down to the Redbourne Duke 20x9.5 which is evidently modeled after the OEM rims. They are realtively inexpensive (re. stock 20 wheels) and they run about $350 each. They are made in California so I hear. I 'think' the combination of Vredestein winter tires and the rims will do the trick for these midwest winters and the summer performance tires on OEM's for the rest of the year. If anyone has any familiarity with Redbourne, the wheels or the company, I would certainyl appreciate any feedback. Thanks as always for your comments and advice !

Old 12-15-2009, 06:25 PM
4wd Low

So here's the final update. I did put on a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels. It was difficult to find wheels that would fit directly without a lot of modifying and the consequent suspension and tracking issues. I went with a set of Redbourne Duke 20x9.5's and the Veredestein Winter treads. No difficulties with the caliper clearences, straight bolt on and I have to say I think they look a bit better than the OEM's. I'm not really into the whole modifying stage yet and want to keep any changes subtle. My RRS is Stornaway Gray and I was going to opt for the hyperblack wheels but hey were on back order so I went with the Silver with polished lip and they look great. In fact the silver wheels are 10 spoke so not that much different from stock although they are deeper. The winter tread is on and the "summer" set is stored to go back on in spring. Now all I need is more snow to see how it handles. Don't know if there will be any off road time but for now I'll update when it gets slushy again around here. Feel free to PM me if you want details on the wheels or tires (location or prices)