General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new member Q. about buying

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:38 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member Q. about buying

hi every one i am new here on the fourm. i am looking at getting an used 06 RR, and i was looking to see how is it as a suv. what are some of the problems that they have. I am getting two very differnt. side. some say dont buy one, some say they are great suv's. so im am on the outs right now. I love the car, but dont want to buy one and have it a the dealer all the time i have a jaguar right now and that thing is a joke how many times is went in.
Any help would be great thank you all.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new member Q. about buying

Welcome! Rover's are superb SUV's. In my opinion, the most capable and well equipped you can buy. Most people don't say "don't buy one" they just want to warn you of the upkeep costs and quirks inherent with any vehicle with similar electronics and systems. Rover upkeep is significantly higher then your average Japanese/Korean/etc car manufacturer because of the lack of demand for Rovers. And reliability can range from fantastic to horrible. Keep in mind you generally wont hear from the satisfied owners and every manufacturer has it's lemons. Most Rovers are not in the shop all the time unless you are a complete nitpicker who does nothing themselves. The EAS is probably one of the most criticized aspects of the Rover. To me it's what makes it a Rover and it plays a large role in giving the Rover it's capability. Misunderstanding and lack of preventive care can cause debilitating and costly repairs. For example... when airbags are leaking they need to be replaced or else the compressor and valve block can be damaged. Electrical quirks are pretty common and can be very frustrating if you don't expect them.

If you're buying a CPO through LR i'd be sure to get the extended warranty. Rover repairs, especially at the stealer, are extremely costly if not done yourself (and even then sometimes).

Let us know if you pick it up!

Old 12-20-2008, 05:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Well stated ldivine.

Look through this forum and you will see a mix of technical issues that may surface. All of us have found that this SUV is unlike anything else on the market and it is worth the little issues that come and go.

I felt the same hesitation when I began my search.Additionally, my wife wasn't very enthralled withthe idea of getting a Range Rover. 15 months later and we both agree that it is an amazing car and there will always be one in our garage.

I always tell people the same advice, get the newest one you can afford and like ldivine said, get the warranty!

Old 12-22-2008, 02:52 PM
4th Gear

You will certainly have many upkeep issues but with me like many others the upside of this car is way beyond the frustrating repairs. It is the most capable luxury vehicle on the planet and can take you places you never imagined. I have a 98 and have replaced air suspension, radiators, head gaskets, drive shafts, everything. Most everyone says get rid of it but I will never sell...Once you drive one you will see there is nothing like it.