General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Newbie has some questions about Range Rovers ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:00 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Newbie has some questions about Range Rovers ...

Pardon the naiveity of my questions but my area of automotive expertise is with Porsche & occasionally BMW.

I am looking at purchasing a Range Rover mainly for a tow vehicle and occasional mommy mobile when the Odyssey is in the shop.

My understanding is that the most reliable of the recent Range Rovers are the 2003-2004 as they had the BMW engine and other bits. I don't mind doing maintenance but I do not want to waste time purchasing something that is going to be a money pit that I will sell 6 months down the line.

Any insight is appreciated.

- Harvey

Old 06-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO the more reliable of the model years started in 2005 when they put the Jag V8 engine in the Range Rover. 2003 was the first year of this model and had many flukes and bugs. By the time 2005 rolled around alot of them were cleared up. Having a BMW engine might be nice for you however since you are familiar with BMW. If you keep up with all the maintenance and take good care of a Range Rover it will take care of you. I keep on top of everything with my Range Rover and it is a very reliable daily driver.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The power train on RRs 2003 and up are almost indestructible. Like GSD said they are very quirky electrically. If it was well taken care of, you will get many years of care free service from it. The most temperamental part of it will be the air suspension. If you don't want to hassle with it you can convert it to coils, but I don't recommend it.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the others have said if you take care of it then it will do great for you, but there will still be a few items tht will make you scratch your head once in a while and wonder why.

It can be a great tow vehicle too depending on what you are towing. If you are looking for something to tow the wakeboard boat or the small trailer then you are great, if you are hoping to tow vehicle every weekend to the track or a skidsteer then I would suggest another vehicle.

I think wiht the Range Rover, you either love them or not, if you know someone that owns one and would let you drive it for a weekend then I would try that too.

Good luck with the search.