General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the over asked axle question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the over asked axle question

so here it is. i read up on the search about the axles. 95% of it came back about info on the disco wich i would guess is short for discovery.

i have a 92 rover. i am wanting to know how can i tell if i have a locking center diff. an are there any axles that come with a factory limited slip type unit? from what i have read the answer is no. also is there any ware i can run the vin # that will tell me what gear ratio my axles are an the other various options it may have?

i didn't have any trouble finding out specs like oil capacity's or the engine hp & trk ratings.

the rover is going to be used mainly as an off road vehical. so being able to lock up the drive train will be useful at times.

also what set ups do the rest of you have? an what do you use your rover for mainly?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Overlanding

i found a couple web sites. that offer the limited slip units. what site do most of you . got to for theses parts. an after some reading. it sounds like the lift springs i have are junk. an should be taken off an thrown away. so i will be looking for lift springs now as well so a good suggestion on those would be good as well. looking to get as close to 4 inches of lift or close to that.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't think you have a LT230 t/case which is needed to run lockers. Is your t/case shifter, high, neutral and low or does it also have the high and low lock.
Most likely you have a Borg Warner t/case with a viscus coupling instead of the CDL.
There are places where you can buy the LT230 and other necessary parts for $400 to $500, then you can address your diffs.
As for the diffs, I don't believe you have the 24 spline axles, most likely the 10 splines.
If you are wanting to get more information as to parts needed and where to buy them, shout.
By the way, where are you located, there are a number of used RTE spring sets listed right now.

Last edited by Disco Mike; 05-08-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I don't think you have a LT230 t/case which is needed to run lockers. Is your t/case shifter, high, neutral and low or does it also have the high and low lock.
Most likely you have a Borg Warner t/case with a viscus coupling instead of the CDL.
There are places where you can buy the LT230 and other necessary parts for $400 to $500, then you can address your diffs.
As for the diffs, I don't believe you have the 24 spline axles, most likely the 10 splines.
If you are wanting to get more information as to parts needed and where to buy them, shout.
By the way, where are you located, there are a number of used RTE spring sets listed right now.
i am located near seattle in a town called anacortes washington. i dont have the locking t-case. i belive i have the viscose coupling. i only have high an low.

as to the axles. what year or model might i be able to ****** a set of axles from? an are there any factory axles i should grab? do the rr lwb have any diffrent axle ratios or will i have to buy new internals for my housings an go from there?

there is a 90 rr in my ocal junk yard not far from my house. has a dead motor but good running gear. think that may have the t-case i am looking for?

an thanks for you responce.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
by any chance a 90 rr would have the t-case i am looking for? what years did they have the low loc an high lock cases?